Our client is a large Property Group and In line with their plans for growth they seek a commercial Indirect Tax Advisor or Manager to join their Finance Team in the Head Office in Alderley Edge. Reporting to the Group Tax Director, the Indirect Tax Manager will have responsibility for robust VAT compliance process, including overseas jurisdictions in Spain, China and UAE. There will also be a significant amount of indirect tax advisory work across a variety of businesses.
As part of this role, the Indirect Tax Manager will also be required to get involved in a number of other ad hoc taxes such as stamp duty, CIS returns, non-resident landlord returns, ATED.
To oversee the compliance processes for indirect tax, including liaising with overseas offices to ensure that all overseas compliance obligations are met. The group extends to c.120 companies with c.15 VAT registrations. There is a significant amount of advisory work that is required on a project basis which the candidate will also get involved in on an ad hoc basis.
UK indirect tax compliance
• Be responsible for the preparation and submission of timely VAT returns across the Group - implement robust processes and controls for the production of the VAT return and ensure continual learning and feedback with the finance teams;
• Manage VAT compliance issues such as changes to VAT groups, or option to taxes
• Ensure timely payments and repayments are made and liaise accordingly with the finance teams;
• Perform VAT reviews on a risk assessment basis;
• Prepare partial exemption calculations;
• Dealing with HMRC on VAT enquiries
Overseas tax compliance
• Liaise with overseas tax advisors and ensure that all overseas VAT compliance obligations are met in a timely manner
• Understand the principles of tax in the overseas country and develop a relationship with advisors in that country.
• Input into preparation and submission non-resident landlord returns;
• Submission of Construction Industry Scheme returns, including completion of any new registrations required;
• Ad hoc input into stamp taxes advice;
• Submission of ATED reporting
Tax advisory projects
Support in a variety of advisory projects, including but not limited to:
- Ensure compliance with changes to VAT legislation (ie, Making Tax Digital, Domestic Revers Charge)
- Structuring of new developments – Opco/propco structures
- Model impact of changes to VAT groups
- Projects initiated from risk reviews
Essential Skill set
• Be ACA / ATT or CTA qualified (or part qualified or qualified by experience) ideally within a top-10 practice
• Strong background of VAT compliance
• Experience of VAT accounting processes
• Wider relevant experience of indirect tax advice
• Be a fast-learner with a desire to learn taxes that may not currently be familiar
• Experience of VAT and property
• Sage experience
• Experience/good awareness of wider taxes
Growing team and a really good opportunity for someone with good UK VAT experience including VAT returns and reporting.