At HMRC we're committed to getting tax right, for everyone.We’re all doing our bit to make a difference, whether that’s helping customers pay their tax and claim financial support or making it hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system.We couldn’t do all this without our dedicated and very important workforce. We’re one of the largest organisations in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our diverse and inclusive working culture.
Do you have strong leadership skills and an interest in tackling tax evasion?If this sounds like you, then you could be a great Front Line Manager here at HMRC. This role is in the Campaigns & Projects (C&P) team, where you will be at the forefront of compliance work. There are 2500 people currently in C&P, the majority of whom are tax professionals, and this figure is growing fast.
What will I be doing?
As a Front Line Manager, you will be responsible for proactively managing a team of compliance caseworkers. Caseworkers work on the delivery of tax compliance cases, interacting with customers to identify risks and carry out any intervention activity required. Working in a dynamic, challenging and fast-paced environment you will be leading, motivating and encouraging your team to achieve both individual and team targets.The expectation is for you to support your people to meet C&P’s ambition of ‘Doing the right things, in the right way, at the right time, with the right outcome’. You will carry out process and assurance checks to ensure your team’s work meets the required standards.Working PatternsThe C&P team operate across a 7 day week and you will be employed on a 5 over 7 contract. This means you will be expected to work 5 days out of 7 days covering various working patterns, usually 37 hours per week. This includes some weekends and evenings (up to 8pm). Entitlement to unsocial hours pay may be allowable if the working hours are considered unsocial by HMRC. More details can be found in the candidate pack.Part-time working opportunities (minimum 22 hours per week covering various patterns during our opening times) can be considered but business need will dictate whether your request can be accommodated.Part-time hours: The pay and annual leave for the vacancy will be pro-rata for successful part-time positions.
You don’t need any existing knowledge or experience of tax in order to apply, but we are looking for the following skills and personal qualities:
● Strong leadership skills - you will maintain performance of your team, providing coaching and support in a timely manner and completing quality checks using a risk-based approach.
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills - you will proactively manage attendance, conduct and discipline and support your team’s health and well-being.
● Collaboration skills - you will undertake leadership interventions and make decisions, working with a wide variety of colleagues across the organisation, planning and solving problems collaboratively towards shared goals.
● Resilient - you will be flexible and able to adapt to changing work priorities whilst remaining calm, reassuring others and maintaining performance.
● Strong organisational skills - you will proactively ensure that caseworker personalised learning plans meet the individual’s needs based on their experience and knowledge and consider whether it fits with their ...