Indirect Tax Manager/VAT Manager
Balloon Street, Manchester
Salary: Competitive + Car Allowance
Full time, 35 hours per week
Opportunity to work from home
We are the bank for people with purpose. The only bank born from the co-operative movement 145 years ago. We believe in the power of 'we' and putting values and ethics first. We are looking for a talented individual who wants to make their next career move in a bank that celebrates co-operative spirit. And did we mention we are award winning? Year on year we are award winners for our products, our customer service and our commitment to communities. What's not to love!
We are looking for an ambitious and determined VAT specialist who is keen to take their next step into an in-house role. As the Bank’s Indirect Tax Manager, reporting to the Senior Tax Manager, you will join our specialist team with hands on responsibility for preparing VAT returns and a key role in providing tax advice to colleagues across the Bank. You will be dealing with colleagues and leaders at all levels giving you a fantastic opportunity to make a real impact.
You will actively manage the banks indirect tax risks and provide high level VAT advice to the business. This is an exciting time to gain in-house experience in indirect tax in a flexible and supportive environment.
• Preparing and managing the delivery of indirect tax returns to HMRC
• Providing technical indirect tax advice that is both practical and accessible to non-experts
• Identifying VAT risks and opportunities and working in conjunction with other business areas to minimise the risks and take advantage of the opportunities
• Identifying and implementing process improvements
• Negotiating with and influencing HMRC
• Building strong relationships across the Bank
• Advising on accounting system changes and the introduction of Making Tax Digital
What are we looking for?
• Member of Chartered Institute of Taxation or substantial practical experience gained in industry, the profession or HMRC
• A solid understanding and good experience of VAT accounting, and the ability to prepare VAT journals
• Sound technical knowledge and experience of indirect tax including partial exemption
• Experience in financial services would be an advantage but is not essential
• Ability to analyse complex business situations in order to provide the best practical indirect tax advice
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of people and cultures, building relationships across the business
• Ability to manage competing priorities, work accurately and deliver to deadlines
What You Can Expect From Us:
• 27 days holiday at start, increasing to 30 days
• Agile working including the opportunity to work from home
• Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
• 2 paid days for volunteering per year
• Positive working environment in contemporary offices centrally located in Manchester
• Strong career path within Financial Services
• Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
• Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
• Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respected.
Please note that we can only accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.