We're looking for an experienced Policy Adviser, Taxation, to help develop policy on the taxation of insurance companies, with a particular focus on direct tax and financial services products.
Working in a team of three, you'll provide guidance and help to our members relating to tax issues affecting general developments in policy on insurance issues. You will represent industry views and interests to UK government, the OECD, European bodies and other relevant stakeholders.
* Review policy on maintenance and operation of the UK regime, through consultation with members, and influence decision making by representing the industry's views with HM Revenue and Customs, HM Treasury, Parliament or other commentators;
* Manage Working Groups; assisting on policy development on wider tax issues;
* Build the profile of the tax team;
* Lead on engagement with members to raise their understanding of tax issues affecting their policy areas;
* Monitor developments and change in general and life insurance markets;
* Build effective relationships with staff at all levels in member firms;
* Develop influential relationships with key industry stakeholders including HM Treasury and HM Revenue and Customs;
* Benefit the industry and its customers by formulating and communicating persuasive policy initiatives supported by robust evidence;
* Contribute to the activities of the wider Regulation Directorate and Member Groups.
Skills / experience
* An expert understanding of the UK Tax System and UK Tax Policy
* Comfortable handling various member priorities and chairing meetings with your various stakeholders
* Adept at managing your stakeholders
* Excellent analytical skills and be able to digest complex financial information quickly and make it accessible for others
* Excellent lobbying skills and the ability to win the confidence of others
* You'll need to be flexible across a wide-ranging portfolio, able to prioritise effectively and deal with time critical and/or technical material