* Provide VAT advice to the business, including Real Estate, regarding BAU, business change and exceptional transactions.
* Identify and mitigate VAT risks and formulate VAT Strategy and identify and implement opportunities for VAT savings
* Manage and develop the VAT team to ensure work is organised and undertaken as effectively as possible.
* Ensure that VAT claims in the pension fund sector are maintained and position is protected
* Identify legislative changes: review and implement in a timely manner, including oversight of necessary systems changes.
* Participate in projects, particularly Finance Transformation, acting as Subject Matter Expert for VAT, and ensuring that VAT best practice is implemented
* Monitor changes to business and ensure PESM is updated to reflect business change - informing and negotiating with HMRC as required
* Review and oversight of quarterly UK VAT return for the VAT group ensuring the returns are completed in accordance with the Partial Exemption Special Method ("PESM") agreed with HMRC. Ensure that the Annual and Capital Goods Scheme Adjustments are completed accurately and that ESLs are submitted on time.
* Provide oversight of VAT returns/ESLs, addressing particular issues raised locally and ensuring timely submission of returns
* Liaise with HMRC and European tax authorities and external consultants in respect of VAT matters.
* Oversee process documentation for the business including requirements for SAO regime