The role of Indirect Tax Manager is really important to this in-house team. The Tax Team is a growing, centralised function within the Finance department which is responsible for managing all direct and indirect taxes across the Group to ensure compliance with local regulations in each country that the Group operates in.
They seek an enthusiastic tax professional who holds the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification to support the Director of Tax in managing the indirect tax compliance process and in tax project work. This role is ideally a part time appointment of 3 days (4 days also considered) and can be worked from Crewe, Belfast or Sheffield offices.
Your responsibilities day to day will be…
• Responsible for all UK and European indirect tax filings – VAT, EC sales lists, Intrastat etc.
• Review indirect tax submissions for other territories including Malaysia, Singapore and Australia.
• Support introduction of software to produce US sales tax filings.
• Subject matter lead on indirect tax matters – resolve queries from finance and business.
• Responsibility for product matrix – ensure all sales are assigned correct VAT codes in invoicing system.
• Maintain a third party software system used to support the VAT return process.
• Support move to electronic invoicing.
• VAT process improvements – monitor and reduce error rates.
• Day to day contacts with advisors on outsourced returns.
• Deal with tax enquiries from tax authorities.
• Assisting the Director of Tax in project work as required. Typical projects could involve determining the correct VAT treatment of new products and services.
• This group has made a significant number of acquisitions in the last 3 years, and it is likely that there will be more acquisitions in future. Due diligence reports will need to be reviewed to identify any potential tax risks, and after acquisitions are made, you will need to bring the new company into line with our existing tax processes.
What the Ideal Candidate would look like:
• CTA qualified, or alternatively you will be a qualified accountant with at least 5 years of indirect tax experience.
• Experience of preparing indirect tax returns either in practice or another in-house role.
• Exposure to European VAT systems would be an advantage.
• Ability to research technical topics which you have not previously seen.
• Supervising junior staff and helping them to develop their own skills and knowledge.
• Excel skills.
• The ability to build a strong rapport with members of the Finance Team and the wider business teams;
• Problem solving skills;
• Excellent attention to detail;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Able to work under pressure and effectively prioritise to achieve strict deadlines and targets;
• Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
• Thrives on challenge and accountability;
• Influencing skills to deliver results from colleagues;
What can you expect in this role?
• A friendly culture that mirrors the proposition to customers.
• A fast-growing organisation that defines itself as being agile and innovative
• A drive for continuous improvement, which you will be empowered to get behind from day one.
• A commitment to building a working environment that values inclusivity, innovation, agility, and drive.
And of course, you will be compensated competitively along with bonus potential and a good range of core benefits.