Corporate Tax Manager
As a tax specialist you’ll be part of the Tax Management team which is responsible for managing tax compliance and tax risk for Nationwide. With a focus on corporate taxes and bank levy, you’ll work closely with other areas of the business to ensure that our processes are tax compliant, as well as ensuring that all corporation tax reporting is delivered in line with requirements. You’ll be involved in projects and business initiatives to evolve our processes, providing guidance to ensure that tax requirements are understood and well-managed. You’ll also liaise with HMRC on tax matters and help to manage tax risk. As part of the wider tax team, you will be involved in other areas of tax and contribute to the overall success of the team.
Our Tax Management team uses its specialist knowledge and experience to ensure that Nationwide operates as a low risk organisation for tax purposes, ensuring compliance with tax regulations and that the tax implications of business initiatives and decisions are understood. In doing this, the team protects Nationwide’s reputation and keeps the Society safe and secure for our members.
We now have an opportunity for an individual to join our team to help us drive and develop our tax management activities. The team is well regarded, and team members work effectively together to manage the different areas of tax specialism across the Society.
So, if you have a passion for developing expertise and collaborating with others to ensure compliance and positive outcomes for the Society and its members, then this may be the role for you.
At Nationwide we openly put our 16 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working with colleagues on the tax affairs of the group in relation to corporation tax and bank levy in compliance with UK and international legislation. This includes the preparation and review of relevant tax returns and managing our group tax compliance and reporting under IFRS, working closely with our financial reporting colleagues. You’ll help to manage tax risk and provide input to projects to ensure that tax requirements are reflected in any business change, future initiatives and product developments.
You’ll need to keep up to date with HMRC guidance and changes to legislation and communicate any potential impacts to the relevant teams.
In addition, you’ll engage with HMRC on specific matters and be involved in industry forums on relevant topics.
As part of the wider Tax Management team, you’ll be involved in other areas of tax, and governance processes that support an effective and well-managed tax function.
We are interested in people who enjoy both the technical aspects of tax management, and the engagement with others. As a minimum requirement you’ll need to have or be:
• A qualified accountant, with a tax qualification and a strong understanding of corporation tax
• Post-qualification experience, preferably working in an in-house tax team
• A strong understanding of direct tax legislation and case law in the context of the banking financial services sector
• An ability to understand and apply tax legislation to practical situations
• Experience in producing and reviewing tax disclosures under IFRS in the financial statements
• Excellent communication skills, being able to explain the tax consequences to the relevant business areas, building credibility with both internal and external contacts
• Experience of dealing with HMRC on tax issues
• Alphatax and Microsoft Office skills
In addition, an ability to learn quickly, and bring a fresh perspective will be valuable. Other key attributes for this role include:
• An ability to communicate technical content in a clear and understandable way
• Problem solving skills to deal with issues and queries
• An appetite for continuous process improvement through the use of data analytics and automation
• Experience of the banking financial services sector
This role will provide the opportunity to get involved in broader tax disciplines but will ultimately take on key aspects of the Group’s corporation tax activities, and so an appetite for personal development and progression will be important.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday pro rata
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.