Job title: Tax Manager
Reports to: Tax Senior Manager or Director
Summary of role:
A Tax Manager is expected to manage a large and varied portfolio of clients with complex US and/or UK tax affairs, ensuring excellent client service both from compliance and advisory standpoints, whilst signing out most completed tax returns. They will have a number of staff allocations, some of whom they will directly manage and be expected to influence their development. They will carry out role model appropriate behaviours reflecting Frank Hirth’s core values. They will be responsible for ensuring billing expectations are met.
- Tax Managers have responsibility for running their allocated client list, ensuring clients receive a high level of service;
- Ensure that work is planned and delegated in advance;
- Take the lead in the billing processes and ensure deadlines are met;
- Work with the Credit Control team to secure prompt payment of invoices
- Tax Managers are expected to carry out accurate and complex final reviews, ensuring risks are minimised and high standards are maintained;
- Sign out completed tax returns as agreed with senior staff;
- Tax Managers should have sufficient knowledge of other areas of tax (such as estate/gift tax, IHT and corporate tax) to be able to identify when to involve other experts within the company to identify appropriate departments to involve;
- Tax Managers should demonstrate continued development of their management skills, providing support and guidance to allocated junior staff members;
- Ensure the technical, personal and administrative development of allocated staff and deal with personnel issues with guidance from HR;
- Tax Managers are ultimately responsible for ensuring all compliance work meets expected standards – this includes minimising risk and ensuring an excellent level of client service is maintained;
- Ensure all clients receive an exceptional level of service: organising and prompting when necessary to meet all deadlines;
- Role model appropriate behaviours reflecting the Frank Hirth values as well as ensure all information shared with them is treated with the utmost confidentiality; and
- Work flexibly as part of the close team at Frank Hirth. This may mean assisting colleagues from time to time in support of the efficient operation of the practice.
- The job holder will be a qualified member of the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) and qualified to practice US tax i.e. an Enrolled Agent (EA) or CPA. A CTA qualified individual is desirable but not compulsory.
- They can work well under pressure.
- They are well organised.
- They have been working in practice for at least 5 years.
- They can demonstrate they have gained tax experience and operated at a similar level within a practice;
- Experience of providing a high standard of service to clients both face to face and over the telephone/email
- Experience of dealing with the full range of client tax requirements;
- Experience of dealing with bills
- Experience of signing out US/UK tax returns
- Experience of managing junior members of staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An eye for detail and accuracy
- Good people management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly numerical and able to interpret financial data
- Sound IT skills
- Must be able to build strong working relationships with other members of staff.
- The role requires them to be able to persuade and also push back with respect when dealing with difficult clients.
- Must be able to work in a team as well as independently.
- They should support colleagues and provide assistance when required.
Please note that we can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK. We do not offer visa sponsorship.