We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square is looking for an International Transaction Tax Analyst to join its tax function. This position will be part of the International Tax Team and will support all global VAT/GST compliance, planning, reporting, audits and integration activities. Candidates must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work closely and proactively within the tax team and numerous functional teams across our organization.
- Preparation, review and submission of VAT/GST returns and related filings such as EC Sales Listings;
- Assistance with VAT/GST registrations across various jurisdictions;
- Preparation and review of month-end account reconciliations
- Provide audit support, including data analysis;
- Assist with mapping VAT/GST processes and identifying areas for improvement;
- Assist with VAT/GST queries from business partners
- Document, communicate and follow standard operating procedures and best practices as well as make recommendation to enhance processes
- An upbeat attitude; ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices, required
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with a focus on accuracy
- Must be able to analyze all sides of an argument, have strong analytical skills, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- Must have strong project management, planning, and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple cross functional projects simultaneously – and bring them to conclusion is required
- Must be willing to work periodically outside of the normal scheduled work day to meet deadlines and complete special projects.
- Able to work in a high volume and fast paced environment required
- Able to work well independently as well as with a team
- A level of comfortability to report out on status in realtime. We are a very transparent company with lots of bright and inquisitive minds.
- Degree level education
- Min 4-5 years of Indirect Tax experience
- International indirect tax compliance experience
- Understanding of VAT laws
- Experience preparing VAT/GST returns
- Experience preparing complete monthly VAT reconciliations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, required
- Financial Services VAT experience
- Experience with running reports and extracting data or invoices from Oracle, MySql, Hyperion, APEX, Regulator, Looker and Netsuite
- Experience with maintaining, running reports and extracting data from Vertex O
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.