2 Positions Available
HMRC is the UK's tax, payments and customs authority and we have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for the UK’s public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
About the Role
The Finance Business Partner (FBP) role is a critical role which puts finance at the heart of Business decision making. Every Director General and Director has a Finance Business Partner at their right hand, acting as a full member of their Directorate Senior Leadership Team (SLT), and supporting them in managing their business, providing the right information and the right analysis to inform strategic and operational resource choices and wider decision making.
This is a strong leadership role; you will acts as a leader for your own finance team and for the whole of the finance community, as well as playing a leadership role as part of the Directorate SLT. It is as much about relationships, stakeholder management and business understanding as it is about financial technical skills.
By combining the professional technical knowledge available to you with an understanding of the business’s strategic goals, future plans and immediate performance and financial issues and risks, you will greatly enhance the quality of joint decision making.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Leadership and Management – Managing, leading and developing the Finance Teams to support their Directorate with the effective provision of a full range of Finance services.
• Work with key stakeholders – Develop effective relationships at the highest levels whilst demonstrating appropriate challenge and influence to improve business decision-making.
• Financial Management – Assurance and interpretation of financial management information for stakeholders, including financial reporting at Directorate and HMRC levels.
• Financial Planning – Collaborate with the strategy, planning, performance and workforce teams to produce the required strategic financial plans to support HMRC’s business plan.
• Managing Financial Risk – Develop and maintain the financial risk management process. Work with Finance Teams to identify and challenge their risks and issues and the financial impacts and provide expert advice and support to ensure that financial risk management is embedded across the Directorate, with appropriate escalation routes as required.
In order to succeed in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following:
• A strong track record in leading finance teams on a range of activities including financial forecasting, financial planning, budgetary and financial control.
• Outstanding relationship management skills and personal credibility with senior stakeholders combined with a strong customer service ethos.
• Ability to get senior leadership focused on critical issues. Ensuring financial insight is provided and taken into consideration during the development of strategic plans.
• Experience of working closely with the business to understand underlying drivers of performance and cost; and providing strategic insight to improve value for money.
• Clear demonstration of leading change in complex environments, acting as the champion for continuous improvement and risk management.
• Fully qualified member of a professional accountancy body