Vertex is looking for a Senior Tax Research Analyst that will work closely with the Tax Research and Product Development teams. The Senior Tax Analyst will analyze VAT requirements and implement those during monthly updates in the Vertex® Indirect Tax products. He/she will contribute to the development of requirements for new tax functionality. Candidate will reside in any of the existing locations in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, UK, or Germany). This role will appeal to a detail oriented, creative thinker that enjoys problem solving and is interested in tax software/technology. Understanding of VAT information and the ability to determine how they apply to the products is desirable, but not a must. Able to train on the tax aspects of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Monitor changes in VAT legislation on a continuous basis.
• Implement VAT changes, like rates, rules and reporting requirements, within our software.
• Design and execute test scenarios in the product to ensure accuracy and functionality for a variety of taxpayers.
• Communicate with third party service providers and local tax authorities to obtain requirements related to VAT rates and rules and reporting obligations.
• Review, validate, standardize and document already existing rules in our software.
• Write content for the product’s user guides and other customer facing documentation.
• Review, assess impact, and resolve customer issues.
• Communicate to workgroup and product team the changes and impact to product.
• Develop business requirements for product enhancement and test resulting functionality for accuracy.
• Brainstorm with the Product Development team on data and program solutions to achieve desired output in the product.
• Complete work within monthly and project deadlines defined by the product team.
• Lead or participate in other projects or duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Understand tax information and the ability to formulate interpretations and determine how they apply to Vertex
• Strong aptitude for detail.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong time management and ability to meet deadlines.
• Exceptional analytical and logical problem-solving skills.
• Comfortable learning customized software applications.
• Must be able to work in a dynamic, team-based environment and be able to adapt to changing and multiple priorities.
• Ability to apply professional concepts and experience to evaluate identifiable factors in order to resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways.
• Ability to work without supervision. Latitude for independent decision making.
• Ability to network with senior internal and external personnel.
• Ability to listen and understand information and communicate the same.
• Must possess strong interpersonal, organizational, presentation and facilitation skills.
• Must be results oriented, customer focused and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages.
• Sufficient knowledge of business communication, including telephone, voicemail, and e-mail and operations of office machines, such as photocopier, scanner, and fax.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Taxation, Math or related discipline.
• 5+ years of general business experience is strongly desired.
• Demonstrated international VAT knowledge is a plus.