I'm delighted to have been exclusively retained by Argent LLP to find a Head of Tax. Since its foundation in 1981, Argent has grown to become one of the leading real estate development companies in the UK, delivering major commercial, residential, educational, cultural and community developments in the UK's largest cities.
Oversee all aspects of corporate and project tax (which includes LLPs, LPs, corporates and unit trusts).
* Developing and "owning" tax strategies for different areas of the business.
* Working closely with all Argent Related partners and development teams, drive major tax structuring projects (and restructuring projects for existing developments).
* Identify tax planning opportunities and process improvements.
* On an ongoing basis, assess tax risks and recommend strategies to mitigate them.
* Regular communication of current technical opportunities and risks to non-experts within the business.
* Continually monitor and communicate changes in tax legislation, as appropriate.
* Regular and effective communication with investor tax teams based in UK, Australia and USA and oversight of tax reporting to investors and ad-hoc requests.
* Be proactive in advising senior management of tax issues/opportunities that may have meaningful consequences.
Oversee the relationships with key external parties including HMRC and tax consultants/advisors.
* Oversee the strategy for dealing with on-going tax enquires.
* Provide oversight over whether the tax projects are proceeding on time, on budget and in accordance with plan.
* Develop and maintain a forward looking priority and resource plan covering both internal resource and external tax consultants.
* Oversight of the VAT and CIS return process, dealing with ad-hoc queries as they arise.
* Preparation of Board minutes in relation to tax and projects.
* Supporting the business on all tax related projects and queries. Conduct oneself with the highest level of business integrity.
* ACA, CTA or equivalent experience gained in either an accountancy or legal role.
* Experience in project managing large tax projects with multiple stakeholders and advisors.
* Superior organisational skills, and a proven ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
* Ability to assimilate complex legal documents.
* Experience managing tax matters relating to partnerships, including LPs and LLPs.
* Superior interpersonal skills:
* Ease in working with people up and down the organization hierarchy.
* Naturally adaptive to different audiences.
* Diplomatically assertive.
* Experience of real-estate tax issues.
* Experience of private equity tax and accounting.
* Understanding of US tax reporting.
* Practical knowledge of VAT would be an advantage.
* Excellent Excel knowledge.
* Strategic thinker with a keen understanding of value creation.
* Creative and innovative problem-solver.
* Ability to think as easily at 60,000 feet as at the granular level.
* Naturally thinks and acts like an owner.
* External profile including industry contacts
* Strong sense of integrity and ethics. Values entrepreneurialism. Demonstrates strong intellectual curiosity; always seeking new approaches and challenging the organization to new levels of success.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Have the right to work in the UK
* Willing to travel occasionally between New York and London.
This role is being managed on a retained and exclusive basis by Michael Johnson at Pure Search. Any third-party applications will be forwarded to Michael Johnson for consideration.