This role will provide VAT compliance and advisory services to a wide range of clients.
The primary responsibility will be to deal with all matters relating to the management of a portfolio of clients. You will also provide assistance to senior Managers/Directors/Principals/Partners in both client work and in the management of the group and on occasions the practice. Will be involved in special assignments on an ad hoc basis.
A key part of the role requires the individual to actively seek, and keep your line manager informed about, any new business opportunities arising on existing and new clients.
• To act as a key point of contact within the firm for the client, together with the Senior Manager/Partner. This will involve responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided, and maintaining regular contact with clients
• There will be an expectation that you will take full responsibility for project delivery on their portfolio
• Manage a portfolio of clients including control of billings and cash collection within the firms criteria
• Review of work prepared by more junior members of staff
• Liaise with HMRC
• To ensure assignments are completed within agreed budgets and keep client senior manager/Partner /Principle informed of overruns and plan staff assignments in order to give an appropriate spread of experience
• Ensure that the firm’s quality control procedures are adhered to including second partner review
• Identify risk and technical matters, as well as selling opportunities, to the Senior Manager/Partner/Principle/ Senior Manager, whilst exercising judgement within agreed parameters.
• Identify risk and technical matters, as well as selling opportunities, to the Partner/Principal/Senior Manager, whilst exercising judgement within agreed parameters.
• Must provide overall support on client matters and assist in the management of the group, this will include support at times for the recruitment and appraising of staff
• Will work as part of management team with other Tax managers within the business group, and provide support to the rest of the Tax team
• Actively participate in the management of the group through partner/manager meetings and by attendance at social functions
• Training must be provided to more junior staff both on the job and through monitoring exam and on the job performance, whilst consistently providing feedback
• Counsel, appraise, develop and motivate staff as appropriate
• Responsible for coaching and developing junior members of staff
Sales and Marketing:
• Must be able to recognise business and sales opportunities and progress these forward with Partner support
• Participate in bids/proposals for new work
• Able to take advantage of marketing/PR opportunities
• Develop own network of contacts internally and externally and start winning own work
Communication and representation:
• Develop contact with clients at senior level and maintain contact with other levels as appropriate to ensure the firm has the confidence of the client
• Act as a liaison between the client and other specialist service groups within BDO
• Contribute centrally by lecturing on internal courses
• To work on own initiative
• Consult with colleagues and Partners on technical and risk matters.
Technical Knowledge and Professional Qualifications
• Staff management experience
• Maintain an in depth, up to date, knowledge of taxation
• Ability to profitably manage a client portfolio
• To actively seek opportunities for developing new clients and for selling new services to existing clients
• Experience of dealing direct with clients
• Educated to degree level, and/or CTA and/or ACA qualified or equivalent
• Demonstrable post qualified experience