Based in Canry Wharf, the Senior VAT Manager will be responsible for supporting and the provision of advice in relation to indirect taxes and ensuring that the business meets its indirect tax obligations.
The Indirect Tax team is responsible for all indirect taxes including VAT and other taxes analogous to VAT (including but not limited to GST, consumption tax, US sales and use taxes), customs and excise duties, and insurance premium tax around the globe.
Key specific accountabilities.
* Provide advice in relation to business transactions ensuring that indirect tax risk is appropriately managed in line with Group policies and standards
* Provide training to key business areas as required
* Identify and implement opportunities to minimise the indirect tax cost in line with the banks Tax Principles
* Provide support in relation to reviewing cluster level consolidated return, as required.
* Provide input and recommendations into systems development, including the development of best practice
* Implement/interpret strategic initiatives
* Support internal and external audits as appropriate
Stakeholder management and leadership.
The role requires collaborative working with stakeholders outside of Tax, in particular Finance and the businesses at a senior (Director and above) level.
The individual will need to be self-motivated and autonomous, proactively taking ownership of the key accountabilities as described above.
Decision making and problem solving.
The role requires a thorough understanding of how the Bank operates across different businesses and the ability to grasp complex issues and processes.
There is a need to apply indirect tax rules to a wide range of scenarios, including finding solutions to complex problems in a challenging environment.
Risk and Control:
All employees have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal company Policies and Policy Standards
The successful candidate will be a qualified CTA, ACA or a qualified solicitor and have:
* A strong indirect tax (in particular VAT) technical knowledge, in particular in relation to financial services, and an appreciation of the interaction with other tax disciplines (e.g. transfer pricing, operational taxes)
* An ability to connect complex tax technical issues with practical and commercial application including the impact on compliance processes
* An understanding of tax planning and a desire to build on this
* The ability to apply VAT knowledge to identify VAT risks
* Effective communication skills (written and verbal) coupled with the ability to articulate complex tax issues in a simple manner to tax or non-tax specialists
* The ability to identify issues requiring escalation
* An ability to identify wider consequences of a particular course of action
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Demonstrable skill at building and maintaining relationships with colleagues within and outside the VAT and tax teams
* The ability to collaborate with others and to work effectively in a high-performing team
* A demonstrated capability of integrity, initiative and commitment