Newly created Group Tax Compliance manager role for an engineering and infrastructure services business.
Your new role
I'm currently working on a newly created Group Tax Compliance manager role for an engineering and infrastructure services business. Working in a small tax function and reporting into the Head of Tax the role will include the following responsibilities;
* Tax automation project: (35% - Focused mainly on CT, developing and rolling out a digital tax function);
* Corporate tax: (20% - QIPS, Annual Compliance, forecasting, filing and governance);
* Tax reporting: (15% - Month, Quarter, Year, Statutory and management reporting for tax);
* Indirect tax: (15% - Supporting the VAT team on ad-hoc queries and compliance);
* Planning: (15% - R&D, SAO, Group restructuring, Tax Strategy, ad hoc Group tax planning topics).
Over time, the split will fluctuate and vary as the candidate develops in the position and works to their natural strengths. This will be an important and interesting role which will allow the candidate to develop their technical skills and build out a more autonomous tax system for the future, whilst also getting close to the business.
The role will principally focus around Corporate Tax (compliance, reporting, building a digital tax system) as well as supporting on Indirect tax and group planning projects so to build a strong knowledge and experience platform for long term success.
The person will be working within a small team of very supporting, collaborative and experienced tax people who want to ensure that the person is fully supported in the role, contributes to keeping the overall team great, and can flourish in developing their personal strengths within delivering a great tax system which is able to produce exceptional compliance, reporting, decision making analytics, tax risk management and planning information accurately, systematically and in an agile manner.
The candidate will be eager to keep learning - tax rules and developing IT / process management skills - so to ensure that a best in practice tax function. The role will reporting into the tax team and also involve a significant amount of interaction with colleagues throughout different departments within the group.
The tax team sits within the group finance department and is involved with relationships and work throughout the wider group. Some of the work is directly related to financial reporting of events, whereas some of the work is also related to supporting the operational business units (e.g. through bidding, process improvements or how tax credits and benefit their business lines), or with other departments (e.g. legal teams for M&A, IT teams for automation, HR and Contracting teams for relationships and taxation of external service providers).
The compliance obligations of the role have key relationships within the group (e.g. with the finance teams) and outside of the business (e.g. frequent communication with HMRC) so to develop and bring certainty early to complex areas of tax. These skills require a combination of deep understanding of technical rules, commercial understanding of the business, and a strong focus upon accuracy and transparency to ensure that the group is taking an appropriate agreed approach towards risk management.
What you'll need to succeed
* ACA / ACCA or equivalent
* Demonstrated adaptability and continuous learning approach.
* Pragmatic problem solver and willing to learn new IT systems.
* Logical, structured thinking and detail focused - financially and rational justification of tax positions
* Tax accounting and reporting
* Tax technical
* Group tax reporting and tax accounting
* Working within small teams and large business
* Delivery of solid results and flexible to manage time-constrained requests.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.