This role is a varied split of advisory and compliance matters, allowing you to lead processes and partner with many different areas of the business.
Previous experience with Financial Services is a bonus but not necessary, and this will be an ideal role for someone looking to progress their career.
This is an idea of what you will be responsible for:
* You will manage the relationship with HMRC on direct tax matters, including the successful resolution of all corporation tax and employment tax disputes/clarification issues
* Lead the corporation tax compliance process, to include managing the preparation, review and submission of corporation tax returns for 3 entities, in line with statutory requirements in the respective tax jurisdictions (UK and Republic of Ireland)
* You will lead the current and deferred tax calculation process, managing the preparation, review and audit of IFRS tax disclosures in the annual group and statutory accounts
* Lead the process for research and development tax incentives, managing the preparation, review and submission of annual RDEC claims and collaborating effectively with relevant IT experts
* Lead the preparation and annual review of local transfer pricing documentation, ensuring any transfer pricing risks are identified, mitigated/resolved and communicated to the relevant areas of the business and senior management
* You will lead the annual review of corporate interest restriction calculations, collaborating with relevant colleagues in the other UK entities to obtain a view of the group's net interest income/expense position.
* Manage the process of negotiating thin capitalisation agreements with HMRC, providing documentation and calculations during the period of application/negotiation, and carrying out ongoing monitoring of the agreed financial ratios
* Manage the UK withholding tax compliance process, to include managing the preparation, review and submission of quarterly CT61 returns, and any withholding tax applications to HMRC
* Lead the employment tax compliance process for non-payroll related topics, to include managing the preparation, review and submission of annual PAYE Settlement Agreement returns for 2 entities
* You will partner with different business areas, including liaising directly with the BoM and senior management, to identify and mitigate direct tax risks (both corporation tax and employment tax), along with providing expert, proactive direct tax advice on both a project and non-project basis
* Manage the direct tax risk registers, ensuring the risk registers are reviewed and updated on a regular basis, and in line with HQ/statutory deadlines
* Prepare tax technical reports as required, and provide on-going review of ABS tax documentation
* You will lead the design and implementation of process efficiencies, process controls and tax risk mitigating measures, in relation to direct tax
* Lead the identification and implementation of direct tax savings, in line with available tax incentives provided by prevailing legislation
* Collaborate with the Indirect Tax Manager to ensure on-going SAO and Tax Strategy requirements are monitored and reported, in line with statutory provisions and HMRC guidance
* Work with the Indirect Tax Manager to ensure effective on-going education is provided to the business on important tax matters, such as tax compliance and corporate criminal offences
* You will effectively manage relationships with the HQ tax function, tax colleagues at other group entities, the external auditors and third party advisors.
* Keep yourself up to date with all direct tax technical developments which may affect the group and communicate to the business as required
Who are we looking for:
* You are or have been in a direct tax role, either in a similar in-house role or within the accountancy/tax profession at a manager level with CTA ideally, or ACCA /ACA qualifications
* Experience in the Financial Services and/or Automotive Financial Services Industry is preferable
* You have strong analytical skills and attention to detail
* You can work under pressure in order to meet strict external and internal deadlines and can lead, manage and take ownership, using your own initiative
* You are flexible and adaptable to ensure business needs and objectives are met
* You work proactively to bring new innovative solutions to business challenges
* You have the confidence to communicate verbally and in writing with staff in other departments at all levels and with external stakeholders e.g. HMRC, Group companies, advisors
* Your communication and business writing skills are demonstrable
* Intermediate Microsoft office skills, particularly Excel and Teams