1. MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To manage the delivery of direct tax services to UK companies within Sumitomo Corporation group - responsibility for UK corporate tax compliance, IFRS reporting, direct tax advice, transfer pricing, governance and risk management and leading relationships with relevant stakeholders.
2. POSITION IN ORGANISATION
Reporting to Department General Manager of the tax department (Head of Tax) based in the UK who has
oversight of tax for the EMEA/CIS region. The role has one direct report - a Corporate Tax Specialist,
recruitment of whom will be the responsibility of the successful candidate.
3. SCOPE OF JOB
UK Compliance including reporting:
* Planning, co-ordinating and managing the delivery of Corporate Tax compliance (Tax Computations and Returns, Quarterly Tax Payments and Tax Enquiries) for UK Companies within the Sumitomo Corporation group.
* Planning, co-ordinating and managing quarterly, semi-annual and annual tax accounting for IFRS results reporting.
* Planning, co-ordinating and managing annual tax reporting for UK standalone financial statements.
* Monitoring tax compliance (Tax Returns and Tax Payments) for Non UK Companies within the EMEA-CIS region.
* Supporting businesses with the preparation of the Transfer Pricing documentation for each relevant UK company and ensuring the documentation is up-to-date. This includes coordination of information for the purposes of country by country reporting to Japan.
* Coordinating the corporate tax processes to support compliance against the requirements for Senior Accounting Officer for the UK companies within scope.
* Managing the UK companies CFC reporting requirements.
* Managing the technical reporting requirements under the corporate interest restriction provisions and other legislative changes as announced as part of the Base Erosion and Profit Shifting measures.
* Supporting the Head of Tax in ensuring the UK group of companies meet their obligations under the UK tax strategy provisions, coordinating with the head office in Japan and communicating direction and strategy to other UK companies within the Sumitomo Corporation group.
* Managing external relationships with the HMRC CCM, the companies' tax advisers and their auditors.
* Managing the provision of complex UK corporate tax advisory services, including international tax related matters, to our businesses wherever based.
* Providing tax advice and tax research on Group Restructuring projects including the acquisition of new, and disposal of existing, investments across the EMEA-CIS region.
* Providing tax advice and tax research with respect to new and existing business models.
* Providing international tax advice, such as advice in respect of cross border operating models, withholding taxes, and capital structure optimisation.
* Providing assistance and support for non-UK Tax Audits as required.
* Support the Head of Tax with the continuing design and refresh of the corporate tax governance framework including the delivery of process improvement initiatives for the internal controls, assurance and audit aspects of the tax risk framework.
* Ensure timely completion of JSOX reporting requirements.
4. DIMENSIONS AND LIMITS OF AUTHORITY
* Responsible for management and coaching of Corporate Tax Specialist (if required) within the Tax Department.
* Acting as advisor to group companies not within the UK Sumitomo Corporation group as required, lead the relationship with the companies' tax advisors and HMRC.
* Authorise payments, sign letters to HMRC in accordance with group rules.
5. QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS/PERSONAL QUALITIES
* Educated to degree level or equivalent
* ACA/ACCA qualified
* CTA qualified
* Proficient-advanced MS Office: Excel, Word, PP - comfortable pulling together presentations and presenting
* Experience of automation - RPA/Blue Prism desirable
* Flexibility to travel to Europe once a quarter
* The candidate will have worked in industry or practice, and have experience of diverse multinational operations.
* Commercially focused.
* An excellent communicator - confident and articulate in order to support the business and deal effectively with advisors.
* Strong direct tax compliance background preferred.
* Strong international tax and transfer pricing experience, and experience of dealing with the tax aspects of acquisitions.
* Effective task manager and organised.
* Ability to understand commercial transactions and communicate the tax issues to non-tax people.
* Experience of managing and motivating staff.
* Experience of tax technology.