Latin America Head of Indirect Tax
AP Moller Maersk
About the company
Maersk posted profits of over $18 billion in 2022 and is the world’s largest shipping and cargo company, operating in almost every country in the world with over 130,000 employees and assets of over $72 billion. Latin America is a crucial region for Maersk with the largest operations in Mexico, Brazil and Panama.
The Head of LatAm Indirect Tax will report to the Global Head of Indirect Tax. The role will encompass a broad range of Tax advisory responsibilities in the Indirect Tax area for all Maersk in LAM, supporting the regional priorities and objectives.
Location: Mexico, Brazil or Panama
The Role -Primary Responsibilities
• Proactively understand and monitor the indirect tax set up for the business in the region to ensure optimal and adequate, and to drive opportunities to improve, as well as actions to address risks.
• Act as a lead Indirect Tax expert for a wide array of tax issues that impact the company’s tax positions
• Responsible for highly technical and complex tax strategies with a commercial and problem-solving mindset
• Provide technical tax analysis in all areas of tax research and restructuring
• Effectively manage and communicate tax implications of various business changes and initiatives
• Provide research and support for tax audits, prepare supporting memos, responses, objections, and related documentation supporting financial statement and tax return positions; manage tax audits allocated by the Tax Controversy group
• Monitor and provide analysis of legislative and regulatory developments and interact with regulatory bodies with respect to tax matters; evaluate potential impact of tax legislation on the company and recommend the proper course of action
Collaborate with other functional tax groups and with other corporate functions to provide an integrated approach to support business needs in the region
• 14+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience in a corporate environment with global operations or/ and accounting firm
• Strategic and proactive mindset in approach to tax
• Experience in handling taxation matters at assessment, appellate and court level and experience in liaising with tax auditors, tax consultants and revenue authorities.
• Experience in tax controversy and detailed transactional analysis
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to perform critical analysis, prioritize and problem solve
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to foster a collaborative, team environment
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Strong research and writing
• Results oriented: demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects, effectively prioritize, and execute
• Ability to thrive in a change environment
• Fluent in English
• Experience with indirect tax setup in ERP systems and e-invoicing is a valuable
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university required
• Master in Taxation, MBA, JD, and/or LL.M is an advantage.
For a discreet initial conversation and more information please contact our exclusive representative:
Iain Lorriman, Managing Director