Our client is a major international group. In the UK they are headquartered in Edinburgh near the Herriott Watt Campus. In this new role the business seeks a Direct Tax Adviser for their European Shared Services Accounting department. This role can be remote worked with some travel to Edinburgh (likely first week on site).
The position of Direct Tax Adviser is a new position within the European Tax Team, which is part of a Global Tax Team. The European Tax Team currently consists of 3 people, covering both Direct and Indirect Taxes across the European Region. The role will report to the European Tax Manager but will also work closely with the Global Tax Team headquartered in the US.
This is a new role and will specifically support US GAAP and local Direct Tax compliance requirements for the European region, as well as assisting the European Tax Manager with project work and Tax advisory support to business operations. You will be required to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues.
This is a hands-on role where the successful candidate is expected to be a self-starter enabled to support the European Tax Team from the outset.
The ideal candidate will have a strong UK Corporation tax knowledge with an ability to deal with both Direct Tax compliance and advisory issues, gained through either in-house or international public practice experience.
The following are the main duties and responsibilities of the position:-
• Manage the timely preparation of the UK and Ireland Corporation Tax compliance process, (US Group Reporting, (Quarterly, Interim and Final), Local Statutory reporting, CT payments on account, CT cashflow forecasts, RDEC calculations and Final Tax return filing and reconciliation process);
• Provision of timely Direct Tax advice to business operations;
• Maintenance of Direct Taxes Risk Register and testing of Direct Taxes Controls;
• Assistance with other Key projects, (Transfer Pricing documentation, Legal entity rationalization and opening balance sheet Direct Tax Provisioning for new entity acquisitions);
• Assistance with responding to Direct Tax communications with HMRC and Ireland Revenue Commissioners;
• Preparation of Employer Share Scheme reporting for UK & Ireland;
• Preparation of PAYE Settlement Agreement calculations and assistance with P11D returns.
The following are minimum requirements related to the position:-
• Strong experience in UK Large Corporate Corporation Tax Compliance, gained either in-house, HMRC or in an international accounting
• Qualified Accountant or Tax Adviser - ICAS, ACCA, CIMA, CTA
• Intermediate Excel skills
• Excellent knowledge of UK Corporate Tax legislation
• Ability to digest Tax technical guidance and communicate to non-Tax technical colleagues
• Fluency in written and spoken English language skills.
• Proactive self-starter with proven ability to problem solve complex issues.
• Excellent communicator and strong team player.
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Ability to build relationships at all levels.
This role would suit someone who is used to large group compliance and tax reporting. You may currently work in industry or in a large accountancy firm. Great benefits package including subsidised electric car.