Job Specification: Senior Indirect Tax Research Analyst
Location: UK – Brighton or Remote
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world.
Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping.
Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
We are looking for an individual with proven expertise in research on VAT, GST, IPT or other transactional taxes.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced business professional with strong academic credentials and strong indirect tax knowledge.
The individual will be dynamic, energetic, team-oriented and have demonstrated adaptability to change through periods of rapid growth.
In this role, the candidate should be able to analyse and interpret tax laws, VAT return guidelines, understand the changes and be able to summarize and/or expand the information reported upon request and follow the process and deadlines to integrate those laws into the Avalara products.
In order to acquire/maintain the most current/accurate/timely VAT information, the candidate must perform intensive research and be up to date on all of the latest tax news.
In addition, the candidate needs to have good analytical skills and be a good communicator verbally and in writing.
The candidate will work closely with other members of the local Brighton team, as well as with U.S., India, and EU team members. (Although not required daily, the candidate must be flexible to overlap work timings with US/Pune time zones)
• Research, monitor, translate & interpret the tax laws and guidelines, evaluate content accuracy, summarize and conclude on content tax decisions and actions.
• Analyze and understand XSD schemas and other technical information for the creation of e-files for our VAT reporting software solutions (XML, CSV, TXT, …).
• Assistance with pre-testing of the e-file formats on Tax Authorities' websites, offline applications.
• Understand how to connect with the Tax Authority's portals.
• Suggest and lead improvements in our software solutions.
• Collaborate with tax content research, product management and engineering to implement our solutions.
• Document research findings in a given format providing a clear summary of the changes and being able to expand upon request. Attention to detail is a key element of this role.
• Effectively work and communicate with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner.
• Participate in committee activities and provide input where applicable.
• Open to accept additional responsibilities assigned to meet deadlines.
• Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
• Must be flexible to overlap work schedule with US/UK timing, as needed for collaborative meetings or training.
• Other possible functions to be covered upon business needs are: Maintain existing taxability rules for assigned jurisdictions by monitoring tax law changes.
• Requires a minimum of 8 years of Indirect tax experience with a Bachelor's degree.
• MBA, JD/LLM in Law, ATT or CTA in Tax (or local tax qualifications in country of origin), and/or CPA/Chartered Accountant or similar in that order of preference.
• E-invoicing and or Live-reporting experience (MTD, Hungary Live Reporting, Spanish SII, or any LATAM live-reporting experience).
• Understanding and knowledge on ERP systems and their database structures (SAP, ORACLE, JD Edwards, other ERP's).
• Able to read/write XSD schema.
• Familiarity with tax returns and/or government compliance.
• Experience with the use of e-files, and JIRA.
• Previous software experience a plus.
• Fluency in languages other than English are a plus, especially German or Polish
• Demonstrable experience or qualifications in managing process optimization (e.g. Agile process) is a plus.
• Advance level foreign language knowledge & translation skill is preferred.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast!
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Belgium, Brazil, Canada, India, and the U.K.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com