Reporting to the the Head of Direct Tax, the Tax Manager will be a key member of the direct tax team. You will play a key role in running the group's direct tax affairs, in particular, business partnering with key group functions and business units to ensure the direct tax consequences of transactions are properly considered in real time, working in conjunction with our outsource partners to ensure the group is compliant across direct taxes, dealing with HMRC enquires, providing input into business plans and projects and supporting on tax reporting matters.
You will be responsible for
* Working in conjunction with our outsource partners to deliver accurate and timely direct tax return filings across the group.
* Identifying, recording and managing material direct tax risks, with a particular focus on the UK as our largest market, providing information as well as support into our group tax reporting process.
* Contributing to the businesses Key Financial Control and UK Sox environment, including defining, testing and improving controls as they relate to direct taxes
* Working in conjunction with our outsource partners to utilise technology advances in order to drive process and delivery improvements to all areas which are required to fulfil our direct tax compliance obligations.
* Effective business partnering, both with finance and the commercial teams; providing direct tax input into the business's projects and plans.
* Maintaining and developing our ongoing relationship with HMRC on direct tax matters, responding to HMRC enquiries and working in real time with HMRC where possible.
* Identifying and delivering value to the Group on claims and tax incentives within the commercial context of the group, ensuring the accounting for these incentives is understood.
Communication of tax matters
* Be a key member of the Direct Tax team and able to work across both peer group and team effectively.
* Working with the Head of Direct Tax to brief the Group Tax Director, as well as our senior finance community on material direct tax matters.
* Collaborating closely with and advising other areas within the head office functions on direct tax matters.
* Maintaining and building relationships with external tax advisors in the main markets in which the group operates.
You will need
* Good knowledge of UK corporate tax matters in the context of a large group environment. An awareness of international tax issues would be advantageous but is not essential.
* Analytical and agile mind with an eye to detail - methodical with the ability to analyse alternative possible outcomes to similar (but crucially different) scenarios.
* Ability to research and debate with colleagues technically complex areas (including the ability/confidence to challenge more senior members of the team / advisors);
* Experience of working within a tax team of a large UK head quartered group or in a big 4 advisory role within the profession to UK plc clients, demonstrates a desire to actively integrate into the business;
* Qualified accountant and, or, Chartered Institute of Tax qualification.
* Working knowledge of UK plc tax accounting and reporting as it applies to direct tax matters, including knowledge of both IFRS and FRS101 and 102.
* Must have good interpersonal skills and experience in working in a multi-cultural environment to build working relationships with finance teams, external advisers, tax authorities and across the tax team.
* Self starter, and ability to work on one's own - yet strong teammate;