Atlas Corp. (“Atlas”) is a leading global asset management company with a focus on the maritime and energy sectors. Differentiated by its position as a best-in-class owner and operator, Atlas deploys capital to create long-term shareholder value and boasts an experienced team with deep operational and capital allocation experience. Atlas currently has two portfolio companies: Seaspan Corporation (“Seaspan”), the world’s largest containership management and ownership company, and APR Energy (“APR”), a global player in specialized fast-power solutions. Seaspan acquired APR in late 2019, and Atlas was created in early 2020 as the holding company with Seaspan and APR becoming its wholly owned subsidiaries. Atlas is currently listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: ATCO).
With an aggressive growth strategy and the reorganization of the organization, Atlas is now seeking a dynamic and experienced tax leader to join its leadership team in a newly created Head of Tax role. The Head of Tax will take on a mandate to architect, execute and elevate a strategic tax and tactical tax function for Atlas and its related subsidiaries, including Seaspan and APR. A key part of this mandate will be to support the overall growth strategy of the business through international tax planning and transfer pricing, and participation in acquisition activities. The Head of Tax will serve as an advisor to the executive leadership team and the Board of Directors on all tax-related matters and provide tax guidance that minimizes the company’s tax liabilities and risks, maintains liquidity, and supports shareholder value. To deliver on these critical priorities, the Head of Tax will be tasked with building a high-performance team to ensure regulatory compliance and contribute strategically to the growth of the business.
The ideal candidate is a strategic leader and team builder with a track record of success leading an in-house tax function in a large, complex organization with extensive international operations. Alternatively, the candidate could have led tax planning engagements in a public practice environment for similarly complex global organizations. Specific experience in a publicly traded or private equity environment with exposure to acquisitions and transfer pricing will be a significant asset. The candidate will be an exceptional communicator with extreme attention to detail who is able to convey complex tax issues in a concise business-oriented manner and operate strategically and tactically in a fast-paced, dynamic and lean organization.
Based in Vancouver, BC or Jacksonville, Florida, this is a unique opportunity to build a comprehensive tax function in a high growth global organization with a high-performance culture and an experienced, world-class leadership team.
• Provide effective leadership and management for the tax function at Atlas and across its related subsidiaries to ensure strong alignment with cross-functional teams where applicable
• Lead and assist with long-term strategic tax planning, optimization and execution, as well as annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting of global and local income tax
• Lead global technical tax research and tax planning efforts to optimize the company’s global tax position, support and defend tax set, and improve tax efficiency with assistance from external advisors on various projects
• Provide guidance on tax advantages and tax position as it pertains to mergers and acquisitions by leading tax due diligence efforts and clarifying tax risks for potential transactions
• Clarify and interpret the company’s tax responsibilities, and provide input on the application of withholding taxes in other jurisdictions
• Oversee and manage the quarterly and annual tax provision process, including all related computations of US and international taxable income, transfer pricing, footnotes, disclosures, permanent/temporary differences, discrete items, rate reconciliation, inventory of deferred assets/liabilities, taxes payable, valuation allowances, tax rates, return-to-provision adjustments, tax provision memos, and tax journal entries as well as coordination with external tax advisors and auditors
• Lead and oversee review and preparation of international, US federal and US state tax computations and disclosures
• Maintain robust internal controls over tax and treasury, including preparing technical memos for complex accounting areas and in-depth reviews of accounting and transaction support
• Lead and partner with external tax consultants and internal finance personnel to prepare quarterly 10-Q and annual 10-K Footnote disclosures in compliance with SEC guidelines
• Manage external consultants for various projects as needed
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
• Reports to: Vice President, Finance
• Direct Reports: Team of 4-5
For more information, please refer to the executive brief: https://www.boyden.com/brief/head-of-tax-atlas-corp-15852105/.