Lead Share Valuations Specialist - Manager/Senior Manager
Location: London, UK – hybrid. Also open to fully remote working arrangements.
My client is a professional services firm set up in 2019 in the UK. They are not your typical firm of accountants and like doing things differently. They have a strong United States (US) theme and are part owned by a major independent US firm of public accountants.
They typically support fasting growing SME/start-up technology and life sciences companies, who are VC-backed, with a variety of tax and audit services, with a particular focus on those looking to expand internationally, particularly moving to or from the US. Their services are carefully positioned to consider the needs of the passionate individuals who run the businesses, as well as the businesses themselves. Their team members have the opportunity to be involved at the start of a fast growing and exciting business here in the UK, supported by an established and highly regarded accountancy firm in the US.
With their emphasis on Investing in Relationships to Make a Difference and a Firmwide Focus on Inclusion, they help each other grow in every aspect of life.
My client has rapidly built a profitable valuations proposition providing services to their existing client base. They now have the business case to appoint a valuations subject matter specialist to take the lead of the existing fee base of c.£250,000 per annum from day one.
They see the specialist that joins the business being somebody with the energy and entrepreneurial spirit and drive to take the existing practice and continue to build the valuations offering. They will have the freedom and be fully supported to further expand the range of services to your existing and growing client base, whilst also being backed to "go to market" and be a lead client generating member of the team/Firm..
At present the tax valuation offering sits within ‘Reward / Share Schemes’ in the Human Capital Service line. It is the ambition of the Firm that ‘Valuations’ becomes its own distinct service line with expertise for early-stage tech/life science companies one of our core market propositions. The role is an excellent opportunity for a commercially minded valuations specialist to make their mark in this firm and as the business grows see themselves move forward via promotion to Director and Partner. The current operating model of the business sees that there is additional caseworker support available from day one. However, the lead professional will be looking to build a dedicated team at the earliest opportunity.
Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of a range of valuation methodologies including Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Current Value Model (CVM), Probability Weighted Expected Return Model (PWERM) and Option Pricing Models (OPM) methods.
- Strong background in the valuation of employee incentive plans, such as EMI & CSOP schemes, including negotiations with HMRC Share Asset Valuations (SAV) team.
- Be able to prepare and sign-off valuations of shares, businesses, earn outs, deferred consideration for income tax, capital gains tax and Inheritance tax purposes.
- Experience of valuing Growth/Hurdle shares in unlisted companies and understanding of different share classes and rights.
- Experience valuing (unlisted) share-based payments under IFRS 2 / FRS 102 (UK GAAP) standards.
- Strong quantitative and Excel / modelling skills, but with the ability to clearly communicate methodology, assumptions, and conclusions to clients.
- Excellent attention to detail with an ability to deliver high quality presentations and analysis.
- Strongly rated self-starter who demonstrates initiative, confidence, and solid influencing skills.
- Team player and can-do attitude.
Nice to have:
- Ideal candidate will have prior experience working with SME clients (VC-backed) in the Tech, Bio Tech and Life Science sectors.
- Strong understanding of Information Standards when dealing with money’s worth and TCGA 1992 valuations.
- Experience with valuing intellectual property, goodwill and carried interest.
- Proven track record of building and maintaining lasting internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Experience of developing and coaching an internal team.
Potential qualifications: -
Prior demonstrable valuation experience is essential to my client, ideally gained in a professional service’s commercial valuations environment or HMRC Share Asset Valuations Team.
ACA/CFA/CTA qualification is beneficial, along with someone who may be a member of any of the following institutions:
- Society of Share and Business Valuers (SSBV)
- ICAEW Corporate Finance Faculty
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
What my client offers
• Competitive salary
• Private medical and other benefits
• Unlimited annual leave
• Personal and professional skills development and training support.