Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals.
Based in London and Singapore, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Innovation; Private; and Real Estate.
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 70% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its Investors in People Platinum standard.
Summary of Position
The Tax Analyst will support the Tax team to prepare, review and monitor tax compliance and reporting obligations.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Reconciliation of historic tax reserve balances for all existing Partners.
• Monitor variances between partner tax reserves and tax liabilities for individual partners.
• Communication with partners about individual balances, and dealing with any queries raised by partners or their tax advisers.
• Maintenance and reconciliation of partner general ledger accounts.
• Administering the partner capital process, including liaising with Partners and the Firm's bank.
• Working with Partners' tax advisers to reconcile payments due to HMRC.
• Support the Payroll Team with partner drawings calculations and preparation of employer end of year return.
• Preparation of partnership tax computations for the Firm as well as underlying UK subsidiary entities.
• Liaise with the Firm's tax advisers to determine any overseas filing requirements and assist with registration and ongoing compliance as appropriate.
• Support the Tax Team in dealing with tax queries received from various parts of the business, including withholding tax and employee mobility queries.
• Assist on all tax compliance areas.
• Keep up-to-date and present changes in the tax environment for consideration to management.
• Maintain best practice in respect of tax risk management.
• Identify systems improvement opportunities for existing processes and controls and be a driver for positive change.
Skills and Experience
• Degree educated and part qualified (ACA, ACCA, ATT, CTA) or equivalent.
• 2 + years’ experience in Partnership Tax, if that experience has also been gained in an International tax environment that would be beneficial.
• An understanding of tax reporting and financial analysis.
• Experience of dealing with advisors and auditors both at a Group and component level.
• Experience in working with wider finance functions.
• Strong Excel / data analysis skills: ability to manage and manipulate high volumes of data.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to build strong working relationships.
• Organised, analytical, pragmatic, methodical, inquisitive and curious, highly articulate and numerate.
• Flexible and adoptable - comfortable with ambiguity as the business grows and evolves.
• Multi-cultural approach - comfortable working with different cultures.
• Personable and hands-on, driven and determined to succeed with a can-do attitude.
• A team player capable of solving complex issues on his/her own.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
We strive to create a fully diverse and inclusive workplace where all our people are empowered to fulfil their potential. We are proud of our agile working culture and are always happy to talk flexible working.