This is an exciting time in HMRC as we continue our journey to become one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world. To achieve our ambition, we are investing in ground-breaking initiatives and programmes to transform our tax systems, building a dynamic organisation with a culture that focuses on and significantly invests in the continual development of our people.
This role is based in Corporate Finance and will give you an opportunity to be a key part of this transformation. You will be responsible for leading a fast-pace team focussed on influencing and ensuring that Programmes deliver solutions that meet HMRC high accounting and payment standards. The role enables you to work across HMRC whilst developing key leadership and collaboration skills and influencing direction of change.
This exciting and interesting role would suit anyone who has a strong background in finance, audit and project environment with a desire to develop their knowledge of HMRC tax systems and processes and working in strategic change in a large organisation.
ABOUT CORPORATE FINANCE
Corporate Finance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data. Our activity helps HMRC account excellently for everything HMRC does.
Our vacancy sits in the Financial Accreditation (FA) Team, which forms part of Corporate Finance, Finance Operations. The team plays a key role in HMRC Transformation by ensuring excellent financial management and control throughout the HMRC Change process by accrediting changes to financial systems and processes.
This provides an excellent opportunity to work collaboratively across HMRC with change teams; you will provide direction for your team and deliver independent assurance for programmes delivering change, such as Making Tax Digital and budgetary directives.
As a department committed to continuous professional development, this role will also provide you with opportunities to expand and further develop your Accounting, Audit and Project Management knowledge to support you to reach your full potential.
You will join a welcoming and accomplished team of finance and assurance specialists, who have a wide knowledge of tax and finance accounting systems and processes where you will be provided with appropriate training to develop and hone your skills for this specialist role.
You will provide clear direction to your team and programme areas, giving support, advice and guidance to ensure all changes impacting Finance Systems and Processes are effectively delivered.
Successful candidates will have a variety and breadth of responsibilities:
• Motivate, manage and coach your team to build capability, that will ensure efficient delivery of requirements that meet the future demands of HMRC.
• Be an effective role model providing leadership by being honest and clear in communications, inspiring others to deliver objectives.
• Lead a team of senior caseworkers with specialist knowledge of complex and high-risk project change initiatives and develop strong collaborative relationships which reach across HMRC.
• Working with programmes to represent Corporate Finance at a senior level to influencing change ensuring delivery aims align to Corporate Finance and HMRC strategy.
• Continually review processes and engage with lessons learned to identify best practice and ensure continuous improvement in line with departmental/customer needs.
• Actively engage with senior partners to promote and improve knowledge of Financial Accreditation and raise our profile with projects and programmes.
Note: This is not an accounts production or budget holder role it is a unique role that combines accounting knowledge with delivery of change.
Important: The role requires some travel including overnight stays, sometimes at short notice.
• Fully/part qualified accountant (CAAB/CIMA/ACCA or equivalent). If part qualified must be prepared to work to become a fully qualified accountant with support from HMRC.
• Highly motivated and self-driven with excellent influencing and organisational skills.
• Able to demonstrate either finance, project management, audit or assurance skills.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely.
• Strong leadership, communication and relationship-building skills to motivate a team to deliver.
• Ability to analyse information, summarise and use judgement on recommendations.
• Be a role model of the Civil Service Behaviours.
Although the following is desirable there will be on the job learning and development, and therefore not essential:
• Audit Skills / qualification.
• Knowledge/experience in project management and experience in dealing influencing change projects with senior partners.
• SAP System skills.
• Knowledge of HMRC’s Transformation agenda.
Fully or part qualified accountant (CAAB/CIMA/ACCA or equivalent).
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
• Communicating and Influencing
• Making Effective Decisions
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension