Outstanding role with global retail business. Based in Surrey. Reports to Senior Tax Manager.
Your new role
* Assists the Senior Tax Manager with oversight of general tax matters relating to the Division by partnering with the countries/businesses and providing day-to-day head office tax support to them.
* Undertakes research into a variety of tax technical areas and prepares analyses and file notes in support of tax positions taken or particular transactions relevant to specific countries/businesses.
* Understands the Group's tax control framework and identifies areas of potential weakness or opportunities for improvement through business partnering. Acts as the day-to-day "eyes and ears" of Group Tax in this regard.
* Assists as required with oversight of tax reporting for the Division including understanding FIN 48 positions. Liaises with businesses and the financial reporting team(s) to understand, explain, and reconcile key variances, tax disclosures, and reasons for the prevailing tax rate(s).
* Works with and assists as required the UK compliance team in the preparation and review of corporation tax, partnership, and similar tax returns for submission to the UK tax authorities.
* Assists in the implementation and documentation of structural changes or transactions affecting the Division including working with other tax and non-tax colleagues as required.
* Assists with the preparation and review as required of transfer pricing documentation relevant to countries/businesses within the Division. Works with the Senior Director, Global Transfer Pricing to ensure local transfer pricing compliance requirements are understood and being met/adhered to locally.
* Provides assistance to other tax colleagues in the identification, quantification, administration, and reporting of cross-border withholding taxes. Works with partnered businesses to ensure local compliance in respect of cross-border withholding taxes.
* Assists with the preparation and/or review of internal legal contracts that document particular transactions between affiliated entities. Identifies transactions involving partnered businesses that are not yet documented and takes action as required.
* Attends meetings as required with businesses and provides feedback on a regular basis to the Senior Tax Manager on business developments, including identifying associated potential tax issues and methods of resolution.
* Maintains tax technical awareness in relevant territories and ensures that significant changes to tax regimes and/or compliance requirements are flagged for the Group to act upon if required.
* Assists as required in the preparation and review of the Tax Status Report, Periodic Tax Report, and/or similar internal documents.
* Works with the UK compliance team as required to respond to HMRC queries or tax audits. Works with partnered businesses to understand local tax audits and provide briefings to the Senior Tax Manager as required.
What you'll need to succeed
* Qualified accountant with experience in a tax department of a multi-national company or in one of the top 4 accounting firms.
* Hands-on experience of advising on international tax matters relating to multi-national companies desired.
* Some experience of advising on tax implications of domestic and cross-border financing and restructuring projects.
* Exposure to transfer pricing issues and documenting of cross-border related party transactions.
* Understanding and hands-on experience of financial reporting under IFRS and/or US GAAP; exposure to financial reporting standards/requirements in other countries an advantage.
* Ability to communicate tax issues clearly and concisely (in both written and verbal forms) to a variety of individuals and stakeholders with differing levels of tax awareness.
* Practical experience of working with third-party professional advisers in multiple countries.
* Understanding and/or experience of indirect and employment taxes in a multi-national context an advantage.