Leading global financial services based in Canary Wharf - recruiting a VAT Accountant. Reports to VAT Manager
Your new role
* To calculate the Group VAT liability in accordance with legal requirements, and produce the VAT Return for submission to HMRC;
* To ensure that the Periodic VAT journals are uploaded to GL on a timely basis, and that a robust control environment exists around the Management Accounts VAT process;
* To reconcile the VAT balance sheet accounts on a timely basis;
* To liaise with our external auditors to ensure a smooth quarterly and year-end process;
* Conduct a continual process review - maintain an up to date manual of the VAT return process;
* Monitor and challenge manual postings to VAT accounts;
* Timely and accurate production of the Group VAT Return;
* Timely and accurate production of overseas VAT returns;
* Balance sheet accounts satisfactorily reconciled every period;
* Assistance with other transaction taxes including Financial Transaction Tax (FTT) and stamp duties as necessary;
* Deal with ad hoc queries as they arise;
* Monitor and challenge PESM;
* Liaise with external advisers.
What you'll need to succeed
* Part/Qualified CIMA/ACCA/ACA;
* Previous experience of completing VAT returns and a (minimum) basic understanding of HMRC compliance/VAT accounting;
* Previous experience of working in a partially exempt business advantageous ;
* Excellent Excel skills and knowledge of finance systems (Oracle);
* Able to investigate and amend reported financials to remove known inaccuracies;
* A drive to fully understand the detail and resolve issues in the correct way;
* Ability to work autonomously and under pressure;
* Encouraged to automate or change existing processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.