Internal Readiness and Internal Engagement Lead
Closing date: 13 Oct 2019
Reference number: 16249
Salary: £68,000 - £90,000
Grade: SCS Pay Band 1
Contract type: Permanent
This role can be based at any of the following HMRC regional centres; the main sites for present MTD teams are London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Telford or Scotland (Please get in contact for specific details). Frequent travel to London will be required.
About the job:
HM Revenue & Customs is one of the largest Government Departments and one of the UK’s biggest organisations. Almost every individual and business in the UK is a direct customer of HMRC. We collect in excess of £500 billion a year in revenue from over 50 million customers across the UK.
We are an effective, efficient and impartial tax and payments authority with a vital purpose: to collect the money that pays for the UK’s public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
We have embarked on a major transformational Programme to redirect more of our people and resources to compliance activities, modernising systems and re-engineering processes to become more customer-oriented. We also aim to bring our 65,000 staff together from 170 to 13 modern offices across the country, alongside a small number of specialist sites and an HQ.
Our single department plan 2015 - 2020, which sets out our plans for achieving our strategic objectives and delivering our vision, is available online at: Single Departmental Plan
A key part of the role will be securing and sustaining the confidence of Customer Groups, up to Director General Level, as MTD continues to roll out.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Creating the optimal operating model for preparing internal readiness for the programme, leveraging experience and best practice from other programmes;
• Providing advice up to ExCom level on progress, risks and issues on internal readiness, and steps that are in place or need to be taken to mitigate risks;
• Working with internal stakeholders to understand their needs and ensure that they are ready as the MTD service expands.
• Assuring that we have a full end to end plan for business readiness, and developing appropriate contingencies with support from the programme and Customer Groups as required.
• Regularly briefing Customer Service Group and Customer Compliance Group DGs and Directors, and attending ExCom meetings with the Director as required;
• Owning the internal readiness plan and presenting progress against it at monthly meetings of the Programme Board and at Working Group/any other relevant governance group.
• Actively influencing IT delivery plans with programme delivery SCS1s and CDIO to mitigate the risks to business readiness, as well as risks to business acceptance of the programme decisions and choices on IT delivery.
• Chairing regular meetings with business readiness leads up to SCS1/ G6 to review and discuss progress on business readiness risks and challenges for each area.
As a successful candidate you will be expected to lead a virtual team, collaborating closely within the programme and across both HMRC teams and key external stakeholders.
You will have a good knowledge of tax and the operations, and be proficient in the following key competencies:
Seeing the big picture
At senior levels, it is about scanning the political context and taking account of wider impacts to develop long term implementation strategies that maximise opportunities to add value to the citizen and support economic, sustainable growth.
Leading and communicating
At senior levels, it is about being visible, establishing a strong direction and persuasive future vision; managing and engaging with people in a straightforward, truthful, and candid way.
Making effective decisions
At senior levels, leaders will be creating evidence based strategies, evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions. They will aim to maximise return while minimising risk and balancing social, financial, political, economic and environmental considerations to provide sustainable outcomes.
Delivering at pace
At senior levels, it is about building a performance culture where staff are given the space, authority and support to deliver outcomes. It’s also about keeping a firm focus on priorities and addressing performance issues resolutely, fairly and promptly.
No mandatory qualifications required but previous experience of project delivery and senior stakeholder handling in a major programme is critical.
The Civil Service champions diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.