Tax Assistant Manager - Private Client Group
Job title: Assistant Manager – Tax Level 1 & 2
Reports to: Tax Manager
Summary of role:
As an experienced primary (day-to-day) contact, Assistant Tax Managers are expected to ensure their clients receive a high level of service at all times, meeting and exceeding their expectations and understanding their needs in advance. They are required to manage their seniors’ expectations and to assist with their juniors’ development. They are expected to carry out complex US and/or UK tax return reviews, get involved in the billings process and manage WIPs effectively whilst handling a diverse, complex and large portfolio of clients.
- Providing advice to clients, clarifying with more experienced staff when required and following up on queries promptly;
- Tracking work and managing WIP to maintain ownership of clients and develop their working relationships;
- Undertake increasingly complex reviews of US and/or UK tax compliance, although final sign off remains with a more senior member of staff.
- Involvement with more complex consultancy and research projects;
- Provide the link between managers and junior staff whilst ensuring clients receive an exceptional level of service;
- They are responsible for the daily management of an allocated team, and should ensure work is planned and delegated appropriately in advance;
- Utilising job descriptions and the Learning and Development team to ensure staff have received the appropriate training to complete work they are assigned;
- To implement firm processes and policies, as well as providing feedback relating to performance, training needs and processes;
- Develop and build relationships throughout the firm as well as externally; becoming a point of contact within the relevant group and the wider firm for their chosen area of specialism;
- Ensure all clients receive an exceptional level of service: organising and prompting when necessary to meet all deadlines;
- Role model appropriate behaviours reflecting the Frank Hirth values as well as ensuring all information shared with them is treated with the utmost confidentiality;
- Work flexibly as part of the close team at Frank Hirth. This may mean assisting colleagues from time to time in support of the efficient operation of the practice; and
- Other duties as required.
- The job holder will be a qualified member of the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) and qualified to practice US tax i.e. an Enrolled Agent (EA) or CPA. A CTA qualified individual is desirable but not compulsory.
- They can work well under pressure.
- They are well organised.
- They can demonstrate they have gained tax experience and operated at a similar level within a practice;
- Experience of providing a high standard of service to clients both face to face and over the telephone/email.
- Experience of dealing with the full range of client tax requirements;
- Experienced in preparing and reviewing increasingly complex US and/or UK tax returns.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of statutory taxation requirements
- Knowledge of key aspects of tax legislation
- As well as having a good understanding of personal taxation, an awareness of corporate tax is desirable
- Knowledge of tax planning advice is desirable
- Organised and analytical approach
- An eye for detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving skills – able to work on own initiative
- Highly numerical and able to interpret financial data
- Sound IT skills
- They can work well under pressure
- Keen to develop professional taxation knowledge and understanding
- Keen to undertake professional development such as the CTA qualification, if not already obtained.
- Looking to develop and progress to Tax Manager and potentially beyond.
Please note that we can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK. We do not offer visa sponsorship.