A commercial high performing FTSE 250 are looking for a Tax Specialist who will work closely with the CFO and Senior Management team in order to advise on strategic tax matters which are relevant to the Company and ensure tax compliance across the Company's main tax area of VAT as well as employment tax and corporation tax.
A FTSE 250 multi-utility supplier based in the UK with a unique route to market allowing it to have more than doubled its annual turnover in the past 7 years.
Whilst this role covers all taxes, specialist knowledge and experience of VAT in particular is a core requirement for this position, given that this will be the main area of focus. Support to this role will be available from the Company's external tax advisers, together with the Financial Control team who undertake the core calculations for the various tax returns.
Overall responsibility for establishing and publishing a tax strategy for the group, consistent with best practice
Business Advisory and Oversight
* Proactively advise and support the business on all tax developments, driven by either changes in legislation, or new product/service developments planned by the Company, particularly in the area of VAT.
* Ensure that legislative changes are reviewed and adopted as appropriate in a timely manner. Implement system changes if necessary.
* As the Company evolves and develops its IT and billing systems, ensure that tax rules are appropriately specified and incorporated in these developments and that the appropriate test plans are carried out.
* Ensure that relevant members of the Finance, Billing and Operations Teams have the relevant tax knowledge-base and training in order to undertake and support the required tax calculations.
* Liaise with HMRC as appropriate
* Working with the CFO, build and maintain good working relationships with tax authorities, whilst managing outside consultants and advisors.
Compliance and Risks and Controls
* Review the individual tax submissions prepared by the Finance Team, focusing on high risk / complex areas in particular.
* Perform reviews and updates of process documentations as required.
* Proactively identify risk areas throughout the Company's tax processes, and identify remedial action and resource required to improve these.
* Project manage identified process improvements through to implementation.
* You should be a qualified accountant/tax advisor with a relevant qualification.
* Your specialist tax experience should be VAT, most likely acquired in a tax advisory function of an accounting firm.
* Experience of responding to HMRC enquiries or visits.
* Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly with people at all levels of the organisation.
* Be able to demonstrate initiative and be proactive in measures taken to achieve the responsibilities.
* Strong financial analysis skills.
* You will be hands on, with a "sleeves rolled up" mentality and a collaborative approach.
Basic salary of £70,000 - £90,000