Roles and responsibilities
• Taking ultimate management and control of the end to end compliance process, including tax accounting, where relevant, and achieving key performance indicators around quality and technical accuracy on allocated clients, which will be predominantly energy and natural resource sector based.
• Ensure technical issues are identified within computations and resolved, with supporting technical analysis.
• Ensure all tax computations sent out to clients are high quality, technically accurate and meeting company best practice standards.
• Undertake a final review of tax computations, before sending to clients, as appropriate.
• Manage and develop junior staff working on your portfolio.
• Be responsible for client relationships with larger, more complex clients, requiring senior input.
• Follow the company corporate tax compliance process and embedded ways of working with our off-shore team.
• Continually review and monitor the company processes and risks, identify and implement process improvements.
• Provide ad hoc advice to the local office team / client, as requested, including providing assistance in the drafting of responses to HMRC correspondence and preparing tax accounting disclosures on selected clients.
• Ensure client administration is completed appropriately by your team and that appropriate risk management procedures are adhered to.
• Maintain a strong awareness of other company offerings and identify any additional opportunities for the wider firm, flagging them to the relevant teams for action.
Qualifications and skills
The successful candidate will have the following experience and skills:
• Significant experience of the review of corporate tax computations and returns and specifically required for this role is experience of:
i) Oil and Gas sector entities experience is essential as is exposure to inside the ring fence trades for both tax computations and tax accounting.
ii) Specific technical areas including: complex capital versus revenue treatment; pension scheme and share scheme adjustments; group relief and basic transfer pricing
iii) A wide range of corporate tax technical issues, including controlled foreign companies and CIR.
• Ability to identify and resolve technical issues, or escalate as appropriate.
• An excellent working knowledge of UK GAAP, (and New UK GAAP) tax accounting for single entities and groups.
• An awareness of IFRS tax accounting for single entities and groups
• Strong interpersonal skills in addition to excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent team work and organisational skills.