This is a newly created role focusing on tax compliance, reporting, planning & consulting for the Seqirus Group; a group of over 20 entities with taxable presence in 15 countries. Based in our corporate offices in Maidenhead, the role will primarily focus on Seqirus’ European, Canadian and Korean tax position, although liaison will be required with CSL tax colleagues in the US and Australia in respect of Seqirus entities in those territories.
The position will cover Corporate tax and VAT. However, the person appointed will need to be an active advocate of good governance across all taxes. Vitally, he/she will be required to embed themselves in the business to ensure strong, collaborative working relationships and enable a proactive approach to issues.
Principal accountabilities include:
- Responsible for all monthly VAT (/Canadian GST) obligations of the group – including liaison with entity finance controllers, Supply Chain and external advisors in provision and sense-checking of data and approval of returns (all returns submitted by external advisors), including requisitioning payment of relevant VAT/GST.
- Provision of VAT information to entity finance controllers to ensure correct month-end accounting position
- Responsible for ensuring a fit and proper SAP VAT coding system is maintained to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Answer ad hoc questions from the business regarding invoices raised/received. Ensure VAT-compliant invoicing.
- Work with external advisors and the business to answer questions arising from VAT audits
- Responsible for developing and maintaining sound processes to ensure above work is stream-lined and compliant.
Reporting & Forecasting
- Ownership of the month-end tax reporting process, including liaison with entity finance controllers and Group Finance to ensure materially correct monthly tax position
- Preparation of brief monthly tax commentary to “tell the story” of the group’s evolving tax position
- Responsibility for the preparation of more detailed tax packs for each entity for half year and full year reporting
- Responsibility for preparation of P&L and balance sheet position and disclosures for local statutory accounts
- Preparation and review of annual tax position for Budget for each entity
- Preparation and review of in-year forecast (Budget, updated for actuals and revised forecast) at September, December and April
Corporate tax returns/ tax incentives
- Ownership of global direct tax compliance process:
> Liaison with Entity Finance controllers and external advisors for the timely preparation of Corporate tax returns (all returns are prepared externally) – including sense-check/revision of data inputs to ensure comprehensive & transparent disclosure.
> Calculation of relevant interest/loss utilisation restrictions under new UK interest restriction rules
> Preparation of/updates to filing positions, as required (for example, thin cap or capital project costs)
> Review of final returns to ensure a comprehensive picture of the entity’s position is provided to the relevant tax authority.
> Liaison with the business and external advisors regarding R&D claims and future patent box claims.
> Liaison with the business and external advisors to ensure optimised capital allowance claims
Preparation of annual UK CFC review
> Liaison with external advisors and Entity Finance Controllers/Group Treasury to ensure correct and timely Corporate tax payments.
- Assist with tax authority audits and risk reviews.
- Work with CSL transfer pricing team to ensure entities are correctly remunerated on an annual basis by reference to the functions performed and risks borne – including advising of relevant transfer pricing true-ups across the period.
- Assistance to Group Finance with preparation of product transfer prices for each product line.
- Responsible for provision of updates and financials to external advisors for their preparation of annual transfer pricing reports.
- Ownership of intra-group agreement schedule: liaison with Seqirus Legal team to ensure necessary & appropriate intra-group agreements and communications are in place as support for intra-group transactions.
- Act as a key point of expertise for the business: Answering ad hoc questions from the business & Group Finance regarding invoicing, acquisitions, cross-charges, product movements, proposed transactions etc.
- Work with Seqirus “Brexit” team, Head of Tax and external advisors to ensure group readiness for Brexit and the implications of this on the group’s supply chain compliance.
Governance, Process & Projects
- Key advocate in ensuring good tax governance across the business: assistance with annual Senior Accounting Officer obligations; requirement to assist in embedding the principles of Corporate Criminal Offences legislation for the prevention of tax evasion.
- Work with Head of Tax and Supply Chain to determine/update & map out product transaction flows (between entities and territories)
- Be an advocate of the Seqirus business model within the business to ensure compliance with core principles and ways of working.
- Researching and presenting new tax legislation and understanding impact on Seqirus
- Assist in keeping Group Finance Intranet site up to date with useful data for the Finance Community
- Represent the tax function in relationship with Seqirus Legal (company secretarial) regarding documentation of lending and equity injections.
- Ad hoc project work, as required.
- ACA qualified with 5+ years' post-qualification experience (PQE) including exposure in an in-house Tax role
- Demonstrable appreciation of Financial Accounts underpinned by a broader understanding of core Finance functions and responsibilities
- Prior exposure to working with multiple entities in multiple jurisdictions, ideally in a group role
- Must be able to combine strong technical/professional skills with equally strong communication skills, i.e., to be able to derive the correct advice AND present/articulate this persuasively and effectively
- Knowledge of SAP preferred but prior hands-on experience using proprietary Accounting systems essential
- Affiliative, approachable and consultative, committed to building strong relationships with business customers and willing to devote time and effort to embed her/himself.
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Prior VAT knowledge but willing to support the person appointed in learning this in the role.
Built on 100 years of experience in influenza, Seqirus is a new global company with an exciting future. It was created in 2015 when parent company CSL Limited acquired the Novartis Influenza Vaccine business and combined it with its own longstanding influenza vaccine operations.Seqirus is currently the world’s second largest influenza vaccine company and a major partner in the prevention and control of influenza globally. It is a reliable supplier of influenza vaccine for Northern and Southern Hemisphere markets and a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and response.
Seqirus operates state-of-the-art production facilities in the US, UK and Australia, and manufactures influenza vaccines using both egg-based and cell-based technologies. It has leading R&D capabilities, a broad portfolio of differentiated products and commercial operations in more than 20 countries. In Australia and the Asia Pacific region, Seqirus is a leading provider of in-licensed vaccines and specialty pharmaceuticals. It also manufactures and markets diagnostics for immunhaemotology laboratories and is the sole supplier of a unique range of products made in the national interest for the Australian Government, including antivenoms and Q fever vaccine.Seqirus’ parent company CSL is a leading global biotherapeutics company with a dynamic portfolio of life-saving innovative medicines. It operates in over 30 countries with more than 16,000 employees.