A unique and exciting Tax Advisory opportunity has arisen within an Investment organisation due to a recent cash injection and growth in transaction volume. Working alongside the Senior Tax Manager you would be responsible for Transaction Support working across an extremely broad investment portfolio. This will be the primary focus of the role but you would also be required to assist with other ad hoc tax issues as and when they arise.
Reporting to the Executive Tax Adviser, an opportunity has arisen to appoint a Tax Adviser as a consequence of the group's evolving investment programme with its increased emphasis on direct debt and equity investments and a growing investment pipeline. The role sits within the Legal team and will work closely with the lawyers and investment teams.
* Providing tax advice and support to the legal and investment teams in a manner which ensures the group manages tax efficiently and responsibly with respect to: equity investments and divestments; corporate lending; project finance transactions; and structuring investment funds and other collective investment vehicles
* Liaising with investment teams to ensure that tax and tax risks are appropriately reflected in transaction models and investment proposals.
* Working with legal teams to provide tax input into legal drafting of transaction documents
* Providing support to the investment teams on tax matters arising from its investment portfolio, e.g. restructurings and refinancings, and assisting with divestments and divestment preparation.
* Managing external tax advisers, such as accounting firms and tax counsel, on transactions.
* Liaising with external or internal tax advisers acting for counterparties such as co-investors and prospective portfolio companies.
* Supporting the Executive Tax Adviser in developing policies on tax.
* Tracking international tax initiatives, including implementation of the OECD Base Erosion and Profit Shifting ("BEPS") package and their impact on the group and its investee companies
* Engaging in discussions with government departments, tax authorities and non-governmental organisations on tax and regulatory policy and how regulatory environments might be improved in target countries.
* Interfacing with other development institutions to discuss best practices regarding tax policies and procedures.
* Developing standards and tools for the firm to efficiently monitor tax practices of portfolio companies and to encourage best practices.
Tax Operations and Compliance
* Ensuring compliance with UK and overseas tax filing obligations and tax-related legislation
* Liaising with governments, government departments and tax authorities (in the UK and in target countries) on specific transactions and on general tax position with respect to particular countries.
* Working with operations teams to ensure compliance with advice received on the group's tax structure in countries where it has a physical presence, particularly India.
* Providing tax support to operations teams as required, including the Human Resources department on employee tax matters.
Background and experience
* A qualified accountant or chartered taxation adviser with 3 - 5 years' post-qualification experience in an international tax practice at a major accountancy or tax advisory firm.
* Experience of advising on and structuring private equity or mergers and acquisitions transactions in emerging markets, preferably including Africa and South Asia.
* Tax knowledge with proven reviewing, negotiating and drafting skills.
* Commercial mindset and a proven ability to explain tax issues and risks clearly and concisely to legal and investment professionals, recommend appropriate courses of action and resolve problems.
* Ability to assess risks and make well-reasoned, independent and transparent decisions with quick turnaround expectations.