My client is a leading sector-focused global law firm who are looking to recruit a stand alone tax specialist.
Your new company
My client is a leading sector-focused global law firm with a strong emerging markets focus. They specialise in the insurance, trade & commodities, energy, transport and infrastructure. Their vision is to be our client's first choice for complex, multi-jurisdictional matters in our chosen sectors. The firm have achieved compound average annual revenue growth of 12% over the last five years making them one of the fastest growing law firms in the world. They have ambitious plans for further growth and to do that we need to attract, and commit to developing, the best people.
Your new role
As a direct report of the Global Controller, the Global Tax Manager will occupy a key role within the finance function. The job holder will be a member of the global Finance leadership team and will work to support the global and local Finance teams to develop, agree and deliver projects in collaboration with the other members of the global Finance leadership and management teams, their team members and local Finance resource.
The job holder will manage the processes that deal with all tax matters affecting the Firm, ensuring tax compliance is achieved by the Firm, its subsidiary companies, its partners and its staff in all relevant territories. The job holder will need a sound understanding of business and partnership taxation, of how to manage the tax risks that a highly entrepreneurial business creates and be able to co-ordinate and lead a team, many of whom are external advisers to the Firm.
The job holder will work to develop the transformation of a global tax function within a successful firm in a fast paced changing sector. Working with all levels of partners and staff throughout the firm, the job holder will need the ability to communicate clearly and with authority on all tax matters.
UK Tax compliance
* Responsible for maintenance of UK tax records.
* Review of tax computations prepared by external advisers for UK statutory entities.
* Ownership of tax payment process for corporates and partners in UK.
* Setting budget cash flow forecasts for tax payments in the UK.
* Oversee VAT and PAYE compliance.
* Improving existing processes and establishing robust procedures in the 3E accounting system.
UK Partner Tax reserves
* Review of tax reserves by partner, as prepared by external advisers, ensuring partners have sufficient reserves to meet their tax liabilities for each financial year.
* Defining a budget effective tax rate for partners each year to ensure drawings set at appropriate level.
* Review of new joining partners tax position to ensure smooth transition of tax compliance.
* Review of leaving partner tax reserves as part of withdrawal process to ensure any shortfalls in tax are minimised.
Global Tax compliance
* Develop and implement group taxation policy.
* Develop and implement worldwide transfer pricing policy.
* Review current group structure, with liaison with tax advisers, to identify any risk areas or opportunities for improvement.
* Liaison with tax advisers in the UK and overseas from an entity perspective to ensure compliance is on a correct and consistent basis with the wider benefit to the group.
* Dealing with ad hoc queries relating to areas of Employment Tax and VAT (GST).
* Develop and implement group withholding tax policy including review of worldwide e issues liaising with the internal team and external advisers as appropriate.
* Act as main point of contact for the team and partners on tax related queries, including liaison with advisers as necessary.
New office openings
* Consider tax implications of proposed structure.
* Consider options and implications on global profit pool.
* Consider impact of the tax environment in local jurisdictions on partner remuneration and ensure policies are optimal for both the new partners and the group as a whole.
What you'll need to succeed
* Professionally qualified tax adviser with strong analytical skills and close attention to detail.
* Seasoned tax manager with experience gained within international professional services firms with partnership experience.
* Demonstrated ability to drive and lead change and build a top quality in-house taxation service.
* Confident and clear verbal and written communication skills; experience of communicating with global teams; engaging with Partners, Finance personnel and external advisers as required.
* Self-starter and collaborative team player.
* Highly disciplined and strong process orientated.
* Strong motivational skills and an ability to deliver to time, quality and budget.
* Business management and budget management experience
* Managing staff in multiple locations or that operate remotely, including external advisers.
What you'll get in return
The opportunity to work with a leading law firm and within an extremely meritocratic environment.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.