The Client Relationship Manager will undertake the final, high level review on personal tax returns which have been prepared by compilers and completed by seniors. After that review they will send the tax return to the client. The Relationship Manager has the contact with the client throughout the year. They will deal with any ad hoc queries from the client and look out for planning opportunities.
Their role is to meet the client’s expectations, which means ensuring the Compilers and Seniors prepare the tax return on a timely basis and that the return is correct.
They will also be responsible for billing on the client.
An allocation of between 300 – 350 personal tax clients.
• Develop and maintain an excellent relationship with a portfolio of clients. Be their first point of contact.
• Technically accurate review of compliance work including ensuring accurate records of claims/elections maintained.
• Provide technical support to other members of assurance team and advisors
• Manage portfolio of assurance clients including being responsible for fee quotes and billing
• Ability to spot opportunities to add value and introduce advisory specialists and/or other parts of the business as appropriate
• Undertaking ad hoc enquiries from clients and HMRC re Returns, claims, repayment claims, coding notices, payment queries
• Attend the annual meetings with clients to go through Returns for those clients where there is a local office relationship to include joint meetings where appropriate with other department managers/Partners
Measures of success:
• QCR/client relationship manager feedback on any errors (technical excellence)
• Use of technical skills to support other advisers e.g. training other advisers, training assurance team how to spot relevant opportunities (working together for success)
• % recovery on work, lockup kept below 30% and personal utilisation/chargeability (managing for results)
• Value of new work won as a result of opportunities identified during compliance process (business development)
• CTA qualified
• Substantial personal tax compliance experience
• Excellent attention to detail
• A number of years post CTA qualification experience managing a client portfolio as relationship manager
• Trust experience beneficial but not essential
• Good knowledge of all aspects of personal tax and be able to identify opportunities.