Our client is the UK arm of an international business and this role is based in a shared service centre (SSC) in Bradford. The successful candidate will be responsible for the on going management of the submission of VAT returns, VAT compliance and reporting. Alongside this the role holder will also assist with advisory work. They will oversee more junior staff.
This role would suit someone with proven UK indirect tax experience and a flair for project management. The ideal candidate will already have some experience of VAT reporting systems. Your responsibilities will include:
• Managing day to day VAT matters and assisting with all VAT planning and strategy in respect of the the group, including a) risk assessment and communication of VAT positions b) assisting with managing external advisors and consultancy fees
Appropriate management of the Group's VAT affairs. This will require a good understanding of the competitive marketplace in which this business operates and an understanding of case law, legislation and HMRC practice, as it relates to the business.
• Work collaboratively with both the Group’s business leaders and the UK Indirect Tax Director to identify, communicate and where appropriate, implement VAT strategies/opportunities within the group.
• Manage the VAT compliance of the Group to ensure the Group is fully compliant with VAT regulations both in terms of quality and timeliness of filings.
• Ensure the Group is compliant with Senior Accounting Officer (SAO) rules in relation to VAT
– Support the issue by the SAO’s annual certification to HMRC.
• Manage VAT processes and controls in relation to SOX to ensure full compliance with no deficiencies.
• Manage VAT Working Capital to ensure that the Group is both compliant and efficient in the payment and recovery of VAT.
• Assist with any VAT litigation matters and HMRC enquiries/audits in an effective and timely manner, also ensuring that all deadlines are met with both HMRC and the courts as appropriate. The individual should also ensure that status and risks are communicated effectively to key business leaders as appropriate.
• Assist with the timely submission of VAT returns and other reporting requirements for the UK.
• Conducting continuous review and oversight of VAT process and controls with the SSC and working closely with the broader Group Tax Team to implement new improvements.
• Assist with ensuring IT systems and associated processes and controls are optimised from a VAT reporting perspective.
• Work collaboratively with the Group Direct Tax Director on projects to ensure a joined up tax approach is presented to the wider Group.
• Acting as a point of contact and advice for queries relating to indirect tax from the business.
• Keep up to date on important/relevant UK VAT developments; assess impact, risks and opportunities for the group and communicate on a timely basis to management.
• Share knowledge and provide training as necessary to ensure finance and accounting colleagues have the appropriate level of understanding of VAT matters.
• Liaison with finance and tax teams in other countries within the Group.
• Day to day management and development of the VAT Accountant.
• Actively be involved in the relationship with external VAT advisors, including fee budgets, opinions and the assessment of opportunities presented to the group.
This role would suit someone with at least 5 years’ of UK VAT experience; this may have been gained in industry or practice but it is likely that it will include some measure of process improvement experience. Ideally you will have a recognised professional qualification (AIIT, CTA ,ACA, ACCA, or equivalent). You will need to be self starter who has the ability to take the initiative in solving/researching problems. It is likely that you will have worked in industry and will have experience of tax and accounting reporting systems, however, our client will also consider bright individuals from large accountancy firms who are looking for a change of direction. Would suit someone looking for a step in to a management role.