Tilney Smith & Williamson’s personal wealth management services include financial planning, investment management and advice, online execution-only investing and personal tax advice. For businesses, its range of services include assurance and accounting, business tax advice, employee benefits, forensic advice, fund administration, recovery and restructuring, as well as corporate finance and transaction services.
Our Salisbury office has grown rapidly in recent years and now has 10 partners and over 70 staff providing a unique blend of business and personal financial services including pensions and financial planning and advice on personal tax and trusts to a wide variety of sectors.
From the Salisbury office we provide a range of services: to private clients, agricultural and landed estates, the bloodstock and equine sector, medium sized companies typically owner managed or family owned business, research & development tax relief, entrepreneurs services, corporate recovery including turnaround advice for businesses with cash flow difficulties.
We offer a partner led service delivered in a pragmatic and approachable way.
Private Client Tax Services
Many individuals seek help with their taxes whether it is due to lack of time, the complexity of the annual tax return process or to find tax efficient strategies. Whatever the reason, we can help individuals from all walks of life with all the tax issues they may face. We can deal with compliance obligations and reporting requirements while also offering high level planning advice on a domestic and international level.
Purpose of role:
To ensure that the annual tax compliance work is completed and planning opportunities are identified and delivered for a portfolio of clients.
Client compliance work
• Delivering high quality service to clients
• Responsible for a portfolio of clients which may including sole traders, partners, HNWIs, non UK domiciliaries, partnerships, non-residents and trusts
• Ensuring administration of the portfolio is completed including all aspects of compliance, accounts, tax returns and tax computations
• Ensuring all beneficial elections and claims are made
Client planning work
• Identifying possible planning possibilities
• Preparing reports for clients
• Attendance at client meetings
• Answering client ad-hoc questions and enquiries in respect of their personal tax affairs
Yearly routine checks and compliance
• Ensuring S&W procedures on annual tax cycle are complied with
• Collating and maintaining client information
• Client billing and time analysis
Training and personal development
• In house technical and soft skills training as appropriate. Will consider ATT or CTA qualified
• Overseeing trainees and reviewing work
• Assisting other group members in professional work
• Providing feedback for trainees appraisals
• Planning and Organising: must be able to plan workload in order to prioritise work to meet conflicting deadlines and cope with pressure.
• Written and verbal communication: good written communication skills are necessary to draft correspondence with clients and HMRC to explain technical issues in an easily understandable manner. Must have good inter-personal skills to be able to liaise with clients and other staff members.
• Customer Focus: meeting deadlines and responding to client needs.
• Team work: provide link in chain to supervise staff members below and support managers and partners above.
• Technical Expertise: maintain technical knowledge obtained from exam qualifications and have experience based on qualifications achieved to date
• Professionally Qualified (ATT or CTA)
• Significant experience gained within a professional services firm.
• Good knowledge of private tax compliance and ideally some exposure to planning/advisory work.
• Technical knowledge to include CGT, IHT, business tax aspects. Non-resident, non-domicile and partnership experience will be useful but not essential
• Ability to write letters explaining complicated planning issues as well as verbal communication skills.
• Computer literate using a range of applications/programmes ideally including Digita software.
• Ability to work independently and also be a team player.
• Confidence to deal with managers, partners and clients
Whether you're looking to relocate or work from home, with our new smart working policy you can be based from your office space at home and/or at one of our office locations across the UK&I.