Group Tax Manager / Head of Tax
(The role is located at the Group Head Office in York)
Founded in 1972, Persimmon is today one of the UK’s leading house builders. Persimmon Plc is the holding company for the Persimmon Group of companies. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and are a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. With headquarters in York, the Group operates from 32 regional offices throughout the UK employing c.5000 employees. The Group trades under the brand names of Persimmon Homes, Charles Church and Westbury Partnerships, building quality homes across England, Wales and Scotland. www.persimmonhomes.com/corporate
Persimmon is now looking to further develop its Group Tax function through the appointment of a Group Tax Manager or Head of Tax. The main responsibilities of the position are for the day-to-day management of the Persimmon Group Tax Department with a strong emphasis on ensuring full compliance and the development of appropriate tax risk management strategies.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
• Hands-on review of the control and risk framework to implement the Group’s Tax Strategy with a strong emphasis on full compliance.
• Day to day management of the Group’s Tax Department providing guidance to the Group Tax Accountant and Group Tax Assistant.
• Final technical review of the Group’s direct and indirect tax returns for submission to HMRC.
• Preparation of the Group’s Year End and Interim tax accounts including direct liaison with the Group Finance Team.
• Handling ad-hoc projects (business led or through change in tax law) demonstrating the ability to work and communicate clearly with colleagues at all levels.
• Providing clear tax advice to assist non-tax operational colleagues (with land transactions (VAT, SDLT, LTT, LBTT), employment status, employment taxes, demonstrating commercial awareness as well as technical expertise.
• Fostering and maintaining professional relationships internally and externally (auditors, advisors, HMRC).
What experience and skills are we looking for?
• Ideally you will be CTA or ACA qualified although we will consider candidates with an HMRC background
• You will have proven post-qualification experience in practice or in industry at a supervisory level
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of tax risk and controls.
• The ability to guide and manage colleagues in the tax department.
• Experience within the Construction or House Building sector would also be an advantage but is not essential.
What are we offering?
We offer a competitive remuneration and benefits package, dependent on experience and level of qualification held. This includes a discretionary bonus, a company car or allowance, private medical cover, membership of a stakeholder pension scheme, free life insurance, a SAYE scheme, staff discount scheme, new home discount scheme and free parking.
Persimmon offer flexible working arrangements with the agreement of the Head of Department.
Follow us on Instagram #lovemypersimmonhome
Persimmon are Proud Sponsors of Team GB
No Agencies please – Persimmon will not accept speculative CVs as a means of introduction
‘Offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory background check e.g. employment history and criminal record check. These background checks are job specific to certain vacancies within Persimmon’