Big Yellow Self Storage is the UK’s leading brand in self-storage with annual revenue exceeding £125 million and a market capitalisation of £1.7 billion. Our network of 100 stores, with a further 12 in the pipeline, provides the highest quality storage facilities with unrivalled customer service for homes and businesses. We are the driving force behind modern self-storage. Our stores use state-of-the-art technology to provide the highest levels of security and we have an unwavering focus on customer service, receiving high scoring customer reviews with over 35,000 reviews on Trust pilot, Google and our ‘Big Impressions’ program.
Company culture and employee engagement are very important to us. We are proud to be one of the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For, a survey based entirely on the views of our employees.
Community and sustainability are also very important to our culture. Sustainability is embedded in everything we do, from our commitment to reducing carbon intensity (which has reduced by 55% in the last 5 years) to our charity work. In 2018 we launched the Big Yellow Foundation, working with charity partners supporting vulnerable people to find employment and create a brighter future for themselves. Last year we raised £160,000 from customer donations, employee fundraising events and Company donations to the Foundation.
We have an exciting opportunity for a UK Tax Manager to take responsibility for all areas of direct and indirect tax, including leading the tax planning, reporting and compliance, system and process design and implementation, and tax accounting, as well as additionally acting as a sounding board for the tax implications of ad hoc queries and projects.
To become the in-house tax leader, acting as the internal and external point of contact for all tax-related enquiries and analysis.
To develop and maintain a tax strategy for the Group.
To undertake tax planning for subsidiary companies and for Group reorganisations.
To undertake tax planning and provide internal advice in advance of land transactions (acquisitions or disposals) and business acquisitions.
To undertake tax due diligence prior to business acquisitions, and to liaise with external legal advisors where required. To have oversight of tax aspects of all legal documentation (share purchase agreements, tax deeds etc).
To monitor impacts and opportunities of tax legislation changes upon the Group and identify tax risks to ensure tax compliance.
To manage the corporation tax compliance for all companies including:
- Preparation of REIT and taxable business computations
- Preparation of REIT compliance statements
- PID forecasting and compliance
- Managing the Group’s day to day relationship with HMRC
- Preparation of the Group’s shadow capital allowance claims
- Reviewing financial reporting standards to determine the tax impact
- To manage the Group’s VAT compliance, including: Quarterly VAT returns, Partial exemption calculation and VAT structuring advice
To manage to Group’s employment tax compliance, including:
- To agree annually PAYE Settlement Agreement (PSA) with HMRC.
- To ensure compliance with HMRC and accurate reporting of benefits in kind on P11D.
- To prepare year end returns including payroll, share options, expenses and benefits in kind.
To support the finance department during year end and interim review
- To calculate tax estimates and provide tax disclosures and support for the financial statements
- To assist with the Group’s annual subsidiary accounts.
- To liaise with auditors and undertake year end and interim audit work where required.
To investigate and design or recommend appropriate systems to support tax compliance and ensure systems remain appropriate and up to date with UK tax legislation.
To maintain an accurate schedule of tax filing and payment deadlines and ensure all deadlines are met.
Skills & qualities
- Strong academic credentials, CTA and/or ACA qualified (or equivalent) with up to 5 years PQE
- Highly competent in tax research and proposing recommendations
- Ability to develop and design processes, policies, work papers and templates
- Eager to learn and problem solve, including taking initiative to propose solutions
- Self motivated, detail oriented, commercially minded with strong organisational, planning and time management skills with personal flexibility to ensure tight deadlines are met
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels
- Strong work ethic, flexible, adaptive to change and a team player
- Intermediate Excel skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word