Our Vision is to be Europe’s most loved travel experience. In the world of train travel, Eurostar has been at the leading edge of innovation from day one, back in 1994. Throughout our journey, travellers have been at the centre of everything we do and we've been pioneers in more ways than one. Since we started, we've carried over 140 million passengers. We take thousands of people a day to Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland® Paris and more, and we also run much-loved seasonal trains to the South of France in summer and the French and Swiss Alps for skiing in the winter. As for the future, we're reaching out to new destinations all the time, setting our sights further and bringing more and more European cities closer together.
From finance to customer service, operations to public relations, it takes a wide range of exciting roles to make Eurostar who we are. Our roles contribute to improving our customer experience in one form or another, and will create the opportunity for you to further develop your skills and your career. Here is an overview of the specific responsibilities for this role:
Head of Tax – 12 month fixed term contract
We are looking for an experienced Head of Tax to cover a maternity leave on a 12 month contract. This role is a Senior Manager position, based in our offices in London.
We’re looking for someone to work on a broad array of responsibilities…
- Ensuring that the Tax Governance and Tax Strategy framework is embedded within the business and reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure it is fit for SAO purposes. Maintaining tax risk registers for all the countries of operation and reporting the same through the legal entity and management boards
- Supporting the business’s commercial decisions with constructive tax advice
- Monitor changes in legislation across all taxes and establish impact on the business at the earliest opportunities.
- Advising the business on the tax implications of intended transactions/accounting treatments/ tax queries, including the review of new or revised contracts
- Provision of tax information for statutory accounting and audit purposes, including providing assistance with both corporate tax accounting and deferred taxation
- Provision of tax information for inclusion within the Business Plan, budget and in-year forecasts
- Provision of information to enable group-wide tax reviews to be made, eg for corporate interest restriction, country-by-country reporting.
- Advising the business of technical changes across all the taxes that have an impact on the end to end tax accounting arrangements including relevant training where appropriate.
- Advising the Treasury Department of all corporation tax and VAT payments and refunds for cash flow forecasting
- Ensuring all tax obligations, including corporation tax, VAT, PAYE/social security and specific local taxes, are complied with in all countries in which the group has operations. The responsibilities are expected to include:
- Ensure all corporation tax computations are prepared and submitted on a timely basis including the liaison with local advisors in France and Belgium and UK tax advisors,
- Manage the preparation and submission of VAT returns in all relevant jurisdictions including the liaison with local advisors for France Belgium and the Netherlands,
- Working with external advisors on cross-border employment tax issues, to ensure individuals and the company are compliant in all relevant jurisdictions.
- Ensure all local taxes are managed in liaison with local advisors. This includes the forecasting of tax payments and the local compliance requirements are adhered to.
- Taking on tax projects as and when they arise.
Experience and skills required
Whatever role you are fulfilling, if you are working for Eurostar, you’ll need to demonstrate our core vales – Connected Building lasting bonds with customers by going further. Working as one team across borders. Ambitious Striving every day to be better at what we do. Embracing change and exceeding expectations. Caring Insisting on delivering the highest standards for our customers. Treading lightly as we go. In addition, here are some of the operational and technical requirements for the role:
A bit about you
We’re looking for someone who….
- Has acted as a principal contact for tax within the business with considerable experience in direct and indirect taxes.
- Has an Accounting or Tax Qualification: ACA, CTA, CIMA or equivalent
- Has a hands-on and consultancy approach, with willingness and ability to work with non-tax professionals throughout the business.
- A good understanding of double tax treaties, permanent establishments and general cross-border tax issues. Knowledge of French ,Belgian and Dutch VAT legislation would be helpful but not essential.
- Will maintain lines of communication with all those within the business who are stakeholders in the Tax Governance framework
- Can influence senior stakeholders within the business to ensure tax legislation or guidance is adhered to
- Will work with the Payroll Manager to manage employment tax issues that arise
- Can manage relationships with tax advisors and accountants in all jurisdictions
- Maintain the “low risk status” granted by HMRC in 2016 on a continuing basis
- A flexible and supportive culture that values learning & development
- Travel benefits for work and play. Includes vouchers for Eurostar travel and discounts on a range of local, national and European transport options
- A final salary pension
- Exclusive discounts and perks
When you work for Eurostar, you’ll demonstrate our core values – Connected: Building lasting bonds with customers by going further. Working as one team across borders. Ambitious: Striving every day to be better at what we do. Embracing change and exceeding expectations. Caring: Insisting on delivering the highest standards to our customers. Trading lightly as we go.