Sparrows are a global market-leading mechanical engineering contractor, focused on delivering outstanding lifting and handling engineering, product, operations and maintenance solutions to the offshore oil and gas industry. Headquartered in Aberdeen, Sparrows employs over 2200 people through its 21 operating bases spanning 5 continents.
We are looking for a Tax Accountant to join our Finance team. The successful candidate will be based at our Aberdeen Head Quarters, the opportunity will exist to support many domestic and international high profile ad-hoc projects and more routine monthly tax reporting requirements. Our tax team provides high level business support to all areas of the Sparrows Group including but not limited to; revenue tax audits, corporate tax and personal tax.
Our team places people at the heart of the business ensuring a well-engineered and innovative customer experience is at the forefront of our delivery model.
Working closely with members of the tax and finance teams the Tax Accountant will be responsible for providing direct and indirect tax services for the Group.
Corporate Tax – UK & Overseas
• Assistance in preparation of tax returns and liaison with tax authorities, ensuring that all relevant tax payments are made on a timely basis. This will primarily focus on UK tax returns but will also involve work on all our global tax filings.
• Assistance in preparation of tax provisions for audit purposes and all associated tax accounting work.
• Assistance in review of all company filings
VAT – UK & Overseas
• Assists with the preparation & completion of all UK VAT Returns for review by manager prior to submission
• Assists with the review of all required corporate tax and sales tax overseas filings prior to submission – includes GST & VAT filings in Singapore, Australia, Indonesia and India.
• Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations
• Assist in group cash tax forecasting
• Assist with R&D and Transfer Pricing reporting as required
• The above responsibilities are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the incumbent may be called upon to carry out such other appropriate alternative or additional duties as may be required which are within their capability and competence.
• It is mandatory that the incumbent is familiar with, and follows the Company's Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Management System and takes an active part in the compliance and improvement of the Management Systems
• The incumbent must report any accidents, incidents, near misses, actual or potential problems with products, services or systems according to the Management System processes/procedures
• The incumbent also has legal responsibilities under country-specific health and safety legislation to follow all Company policies, procedures, guidelines, control measures, signage and permit conditions and to know what to do in an emergency.
• The incumbent is also responsible for the health and safety arrangements of subordinates (if any) and for any persons visiting them while on the Company premises
Qualifications & Experience
• Tax accounting experience preferred but not essential.
• ATT or CA qualifications preferred but not essential
• A proven track record of delivery.
• Ability to focus on priorities and deliver to tight deadlines.
• Comfortable working under pressure, not showing frustration or losing composure when facing resistance.
• Confidence and drive to succeed coupled with the ability to be diplomatic and tactful.
• Culturally aware.
• High levels of confidentiality.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Ability to analyse data and produce management reports.
• Proficient in the use of spreadsheet, database and the Microsoft suite of packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
Please send an up-to-date Word or PDF copies of your CV and/or Cover Letter to email@example.com. You may also include copies of any relevant certificates, if desired.