We have an interesting and non-traditional role within our Global Tax Team that sits at the heart of a leading global Cybersecurity company. The tax team are addressing exciting issues such as fast-evolving business models, new products, and changes in the international tax system.
Reporting to the Head of International Tax (based in London), the Global Tax Team is currently 7 people strong. Your primary focus will be Indirect Tax (Value Added/Goods & Services/Sales Taxes). The role can cover other business taxes when needed on a project or issue, including: Corporate Income Taxes, Withholding Taxes, Stamp Duties/Transfer Taxes, Payroll Taxes. You will be expected to research and analyse the impact of such taxes at times even if they are not within your core expertise, working with colleagues and/or advisers in support.
The role is advisory, project-based, and does not have standard compliance responsibilities; recurring tax returns are the responsibility of local finance teams and are prepared by local finance or by external advisers. You will primarily bring your skills to bear in advising the business and finance teams, providing and recommending solutions and options, and improving how we manage our tax risks and our compliance obligations.
The Head of International Tax supports the business and finance teams on taxation issues across our Europe, North America, APAC and Japan regions. Our main UK company has direct business arrangements with almost all group companies worldwide, and our business and our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The tax issues we face and projects we support are interesting and not always straightforward as a result.
You will have the opportunity to work on varied assignments involving a range of countries and to learn from the experience and skills of your colleagues in the team, whose background is generally from Big 4 firms and large multinationals. The role does not involve managing subordinates – there are no direct reports to this position. However communication and influencing skills and coaching are important parts of the job as you will be expected to work alongside diverse colleagues in Finance, Sales & Marketing, Reporting and Operations, and Legal.
We work with Big 4 accounting and Top 20 law firms on a range of our tax issues, where our approach is to do appropriate work in-house first so that external advice is sourced in an efficient and effective manner. You will therefore be expected to understand the position of and advice from external advisers and to constructively challenge where necessary to ensure high value-added input.
What will you be doing
- Identify and advise on the indirect tax consequences of new business activities, new products and services, and changes to supply chains.
- Monitor key new legislation, case law and tax policy developments. Research legislation, tax authority guidance and other sources to manage the technical analysis, including advice from external firms, so as to document clear positions and deliver clear analysis and recommendations based on these.
- Provide operational guidance relating to international indirect tax risks and opportunities to business, legal and finance teams. Work with business and finance teams to implement policy / procedures to support compliance with legal obligations and mitigation of tax risks.
- Document aspects of the value chain within the business and across the group’s entities, to support the management of Indirect Tax processes and the Transfer Pricing analysis.
- Support business teams and external advisers where they need to complete new tax registrations and make valid tax returns arising from operations in new countries or involving new activities.
- Assist the International Tax Director with tax projects and tax input into Finance and Business projects as required.
- Review and test Indirect Tax reporting processes. Recommend and oversee improvements. Support implementation teams with the rollout of new accounting systems.
- Provide training to finance managers and finance and legal teams on tax topics.
- Main contacts and interactions will be with; Local and Regional finance directors and finance managers, Revenue Accounting team and Sales Operations team and the Global Tax team and Corporate Law team.
What are we looking for
- Recognised professional qualification in Tax (e.g. CTA or ADIT) or Accounting (e.g. ACA) plus post-qualification experience working with UK or similar tax legislation.
- The ability to perform and review tax research and advice, working effectively with outside advisors and with internal business units to deliver clear, well-reasoned recommendations. Attention to detail, a logical and reasoned approach to problem solving, with a can-do attitude.
- Good time management and an ability to handle workstreams running in parallel, including reprioritizing to meet business need.
- Experience of VAT in a cross-border context.
- A willingness to learn and enthusiasm to develop further skills and experience.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Many of your contacts will speak good English but this will not be their first language, so clarity and a sensitivity to colloquialisms are important.
- Some travel may be required for the role but this should only be occasional. The role is office-based, located amongst other large international businesses at the Paddington Central development by Paddington Railway and Underground stations.
Helpful to have:
- Experience of tax systems in multiple countries within the International landscape with strong UK tax and EU VAT technical skills; practical experience involving exposure to a complex, international business environment.
- Experience in understanding and coordinating responses to indirect tax audits and with implementing procedures and systems changes resulting from these, new legislation and administrative rulings.
- A focus on improving controls and processes, including implementation of technology solutions.
- Experience of the software sector and IT industry.
- Experience with e-commerce.
- Ability in Russian and/or another European language is a plus.