VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions enabling 400,000 customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT.
As a team, our employees thrive on forward momentum. We are an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT through cloud computing.
With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group of people inspired by the opportunity to actively learn and contribute something back to the broader community. Connect with us at
About our role
Reporting to the VP Corporate Tax based in the US this role is a high-impact senior individual contributor position with senior business partner responsibilities specifically to the EMEA and US based executive leadership teams
It involves substantial teamwork and coordination with the Director of Foreign Tax based in Ireland and the Senior Director of Tax in the USA. The role will carry responsibility for overall EMEA International Tax planning, and execution of US strategies including strategic responsibility for all service suppliers and creating an interface with the executive sales management in EMEA.
The necessary skills include executive leadership, the ability to influence at senior levels and to work in cross-functional teams. The role also requires high levels of time management and good personal organization.
General Job Responsibilities
- Partner with EMEA executive leadership in the UK and US executive leadership in Paulo Alto to understand the current business environment and plans. Proactively advise the EMEA leadership around the tax implications of business decisions and develop tax strategies to support business plans
- Work closely with the Director of Foreign Tax in Ireland on management of the Irish tax structure
- Partner with the EMEA General Counsel and head of Finance to ensure that complex tax strategies are successfully implement and maintained within the EMEA business
- Analyze and understand international and M&A tax implications - develop and implement appropriate tax strategies
- Responsible for international direct and indirect tax issues, including international tax aspects of cross-border M&A and post-acquisition integrations.
- Resource for US international tax compliance including foreign tax credit calculation (Form 1118), foreign affiliate information returns (Forms 5471), foreign disregarded entity returns (Forms 8858), and other international compliance matters
- Monitor international areas to identify and mitigate potential tax exposure, including compliance with all aspects of FIN 48 for such international tax matters
- Coordinate global tax compliance process with outside vendor including review of foreign statutory financials and foreign tax returns
- Responsible for developing and effectively managing relationships with advisers and auditors on international tax matters
- Responsible for developing and effectively managing consultative partnerships with EMEA executives, developing a keen awareness of VMware’s business and tax structure and providing proactive and practical advice to ensure tax minimization while facilitating business objectives
Required Skills and Experience:
- Exceptional business partnering skills with ability to interpret business plans and provide sound and practical tax strategies and advice
- A proven track record in successfully communicating complex tax matters to non- tax executives
- Proficient in the analysis of complex financial data and statements with ability to communicate financial information to a non financial audience and to simplify complex data to a broad audience
- Ability to identify, implement and defend tax strategies with extensive planning and compliance experience in a multi-national, multi-entity environment including the areas of: outbound transactional structuring, Subpart F, Check-the-Box principles, US tax treaty research, intellectual and intangible property planning, Foreign Tax Credit planning, transfer pricing, international mergers and acquisitions, repatriation strategies and foreign income/transaction tax concepts
- Visionary, sees opportunities and avoids pitfalls others don’t.
-Demonstrated leadership ability in gathering consensus and communicating effectively throughout all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication and written skills are essential. Must be creative and pragmatic
- Skilled in project management and organization & time-management
- Chartered Accountancy and formal education in Taxation. Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent in Accounting, Tax, Finance, Economics, or related field
- Broad experience in international corporate taxation J.D., LL.M. in Taxation, and/or Master's in Taxation (MST) highly preferred
- CPA desirable with experience from the Big Four Accounting Firms, High-Tech or Law firm