A new opportunity has arisen to join a magic circle law firm for a 9 to 12 months fixed term contract. You will be the key contact for all compliance issues in relation to the international transfer of staff to and from the UK as well as providing input into moves happening outside of the UK, as required. You will also be key to the completion of the annual compliance projects e.g. PSA and STBVA.
The individual will also be required to oversee matters relating to the overseas payrolls to ensure the firm remains compliant.
* Calculate the tax reserves which should be withheld from partners on their worldwide income.
* Manage with the offices (not London) the tax reserves withheld from partners and monitor tax payments and releases of these reserves (tax reserves are withheld from each partner worldwide on account of their final tax liability on partnership profits)
* Liaison with the accountants in the team to ensure accounting for reserves is correct
Allocation of firm profits
* Ensure worldwide profits are allocated to partners in the most efficient way possible.
* This will involve use of Excel spreadsheets and interaction with the tax reserves being withheld from partners.
UK Tax Support (International Issues)
* Support for the specialist team that handles the UK tax affairs for partners world-wide;
* This support would be as needed, but would likely be the gathering of Double Tax Relief support and feeding this into the UK tax team
Ad hoc support
Support mostly for the Head of Tax on tax structuring issues (e.g. new offices, re-jigging the corporate group and ownership, looking at the new foreign profits rules etc)
* Oversee the process for seconding associates and business service staff overseas. This involves working with external professional advisors and HR to ensure that:
o Taxes are paid correctly and on time in all jurisdictions
o All overseas and UK tax returns are filed on time
o Compliance re short term business visitor requirements is kept up to date
o Monthly payroll deductions for income tax and NIC are correct
* Oversee the PSA / P11D process to ensure the firm is tax compliant with its reporting obligations
* Advise on the tax treatment for benefits paid to employees.
* Provide ad hoc tax support to Payroll and Finance Teams
India Tax Returns
* Work with the firm's professional advisors to ensure that Indian tax returns are submitted for all relevant entities and on time, including collating and gathering data required for each return,
* Deal with Indian tax authorities enquiries
* Advise the firm on what work can be undertaken in relation to India matters
US Tax Support
* Involvement in international tax issues such as structuring of the partnership from a US tax perspective and Check the Box election; an understanding of international tax issues generally would be essential
* Oversee the US tax return process for partners based outside the US.
* Oversee the payment of dividends from corporate entities within the firm's structure.
* Effectively ex-pat tax support, but in the partnership context; knowledge, interest and experience of how different tax systems operate and how they can conflict
* Monitor partner secondment costs with the team.
For more information, please contact Mo Hanslod at Brewer Morris.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
Brewer Morris was established in 1987 as the UK's first recruitment consultancy to focus exclusively on the recruitment of taxation professionals. With over 25 yearsâ€™ experience, we are firmly established as a market leader and take great pride in the enormous number of long-term business relationships that we have developed throughout the tax world.
We have also expanded our remit into the recruitment of Treasury professionals. This enables us to better serve our clientsâ€™ needs in niche areas and we firmly believe this business line complements the Tax specialist recruitment that you have come to know and trust.
From offices based in London, Melbourne and Sydney we recruit across the UK, Europe, The Middle East, Australia and New Zealand.
Brewer Morris comprises three teams in the UK, covering the UK, European and Middle East markets:
Our Private Practice Team recruits tax specialists at all levels from Tax Assistant through to Tax Partner covering all tax disciplines. Our clients include all of the leading accountancy firms, national, regional and local practices throughout the UK. We also recruit throughout the legal profession.
Our In-House Team recruits for a sizeable range of Plcs, financial institutions and multinational companies, including many FTSE500 companies. We handle assignments at all levels from Tax Accountant to Head of Tax and specialist roles.
Our Interim Team is able to provide responsive and flexible resourcing solutions across tax teams in practice, financial services and commercial organisation at all levels and within all tax specialisms.
Our Asia Pacific practice is headquartered in Melbourne. From our Melbourne and Sydney offices, we work with top-tier and mid-tier law firms; Big 4, mid-tier and business services accountancy practices; and some of the largest multinational corporations and financial institutions throughout Australia and New Zealand, South East and East Asia.